We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suggestion routes please

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
75 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Suggestion routes please

I plan to drive from Portland to Bar Harbor and make a few stops on the way. If I leave Portland 8 AM weekday and want to get to Bar Harbor before getting dark (say 6 PM), how many and where should I stop, and which route please. I 'm thinking to stop at Boothbay Harbor, Camden, Rockport with 1 hr at each stop.

After staying 3 nights in Bar Harbor, I will drive direct to Stowe trying to be in Stowe before getting dark. Is it possible and which route should I take? I would need only 1 stop for lunch.

Thanks.

Central Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
6,716 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Suggestion routes please

Your driving time from Portland to Bar Harbor, with no stops, would typically be between three and one half and four hours, depending on the exact route you choose and traffic. Weekdays are definitely better than weekends, but you may still encounter a fair amount of tourist traffic, depending on when you plan on coming -- you didn't say, so I assumed.

Camden and Rockport are both "on your way", so visiting them for an hour apiece would get you to five and a half or six hours time. Boothbay Harbor is a great visit, but is down a peninsula from Rt 1 and will take about half an hour to get down to and another half hour to get back to Rt 1. Add in an hour's visit there and you're at seven and one half to eight hours for the day. Adding in an hour for lunch somewhere and you'll still have time for a stop at the Penobscot Narrows Bridge Observatory, just off US 1 south of Bucksport. The Observatory is built into one of the support towers of the suspension bridge carrying US 1 over the Penobscot River. From about 400 feet above the riverbank, you'll get a great view of the surrounding area, that section of Penobscot Bay, and a distant view of the mountains of Mt Desert Island and Acadia National Park. Just watch for the signs on Rt 1 after you pass through Stockton Springs.

Bar Harbor to Stowe, VT should take about seven hours, assuming you take Rt 1A from Ellsworth to Bangor, I-95 south to Newport, and US Rt 2 from there to Vermont. There are other ways to go, but they'll be longer, and even with higher speed limits, may not save you that much time. Depending on what time you leave Bar Harbor, you should be able to reach Stowe by dark. Not a lot of great lunch choices along the way that I know of.... others may have more to offer. About the only one I can think of that I'd personally recommend would be the Sunday River Brew Pub, right on US 2 between Rumford and Bethel. They do their own micro-brews, but also have good food for those who don't care for beer.

Illinois
Level Contributor
1,498 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Suggestion routes please

We just returned from a drive up the coast from Boston/Portsmouth NH. We skipped Boothbay and instead opted for time at the Farnsworth art museum in Rockland. It was awesome. Camden is also worth your time. We spent the night there at Lookout Point, and enjoyed our visit. From that point to Bar Harbor the next day was 2 hours (on a Wednesday), with just a short stop at the turnout near the narrows bridge (we probably should've gone up but we didn't).

3. Re: Suggestion routes please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 February 2010, 05:16