We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How to drive: Rangeley->Portland->Woodstock?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
143 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
How to drive: Rangeley->Portland->Woodstock?

Hi there all!

I need to drive from Rangeley Lake to Woodstock NH, with a 1 night stopover somewhere along coastal Maine. Wld someone be kind enough to tell me what is the best route to take? For the 1 night stopover, is Freeport or Portland the best place for some rest and sight seeing? Preference wise, I love lobsters so have short listed visiting Two Lights @ Cape Elizabeth as a must do, alongside a visit to the Portland Head Light.

Prior to this part of the trip, I wld be going to the outlets in North Conway, NH, which I understand is tax free. So I guess I need not spend a lot of time in Freeport?

Thanks!

Central Maine
Level Contributor
451 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: How to drive: Rangeley->Portland->Woodstock?

Are you sure this is the most efficient routing for what you need to do? Rangeley to Woodstock is a direct route thru the mountains and nowhere near the coast.

However, if this is in fact what you want to do...

You will have already been to No Conway, so yes I think Freeport outlets are not worth your time.

Portland could be a good overnight spot. Stay downtown/Old Port to walk around; many great restaurants; working waterfront; and other "city" things (e.g. Art Museum; Longfellow House/History Museum)...and easy drive to Two Lights and Portland Headlight that are on your "to do" list.

The most direct route from Rangeley to Portland is via Rte 4 to Rte 27 to I-95/295.

However, I suggest that if you have time you cut across to the coast and explore some of that area on your more leisurely drive down to Portland. Perhaps stay on Rte 27/201 thru Augusta/Hallowell/Gardiner and continue on Rte27 to Wiscasset. From there you can take Rte 1 south thru Bath/Brunswick/Freeport/Portland.

From Portland to Woodstock (NH) take Rte302 (Forest Ave) to Conway, NH via Sebago Lake/Bridgton. From Conway take Rte 112 (Kancamagus Hwy) thru White Mt Natl Forest to Lincoln/No Woodstock and so on I-93

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
143 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How to drive: Rangeley->Portland->Woodstock?

Hi there HDinCentralme

Many thanks for taking time to give me suggestions! :)

For the Rangeley-Portland leg, I wld love to visit Wiscasset to try that famous lobster roll that everyone has been talking about. Will try to head there if I have sufficient time!

For the Portland-Woodstock leg, I'm seeing on Google maps it takes 4+hr to drive via Conway. The default in Google maps is suggesting do I-95 south to Rt 101 Manchester, and North using I-93, then I-89 to reach Lebanon then Woodstock. Mapping out the distance, it's similar to the route you suggested at 180miles, but the estimated time on Google says this highway route takes 3hr. Do you think this works?

I wld already be driving the Kanc during my stay in North Conway, so a scenic drive is not as high a priority for drive from Portland ME to Woodstock VT.

Central Maine
Level Contributor
451 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: How to drive: Rangeley->Portland->Woodstock?

Yes the "highway" route is shorter/easier driving.(But the Sebago/Bridgton/Conway rte is scenic;-)

Central Maine
Level Contributor
451 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: How to drive: Rangeley->Portland->Woodstock?

I just noticed that your original post specifies Woodstock, *NH* while your reply to me says Woodstock *VT* so that may explain my confusion of your original request. Yes definitely the "highway" route is the way to go if you are indeed going to VT

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
143 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How to drive: Rangeley->Portland->Woodstock?

Oh no my sincere apologies! It's the Woodstock in VT and not NH that I want to go. I'm so confused myself with the states ... sorry! Thanks much for all your help :)

6. Re: How to drive: Rangeley->Portland->Woodstock?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 February 2010, 06:20