We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 weeks in New England - itinerary help??

Purduewriter91
Level Contributor
4 posts
62 reviews
Save Topic
2 weeks in New England - itinerary help??

My husband and I are flying in to Boston on September 18 for a 2-week New England vacation. Right now I'm planning to spend the first 2-3 days in (or near) Cape Cod with maybe a visit to Nantucket (hiking/biking, etc.), Then want to drive the coast and go north to spend the night in Hartford with a visit to Mark Twain's house. After that, I'm planning on heading north to the White Mountains for three nights. Then east to Portland for 3 days, then down the coast with visits to lighthouses and lobster shacks. We'll end our trip with a visit to Salem and we fly out of Boston early on October 2.

Can anyone give me advice? Will this itinerary work? Is there anything I'm missing? when we head east out of the White Mountains, should we begin the Maine coast farther north than Portland? I would love to do a sunset cruise to an island for a clambake, but have been unable to find anything.

Any insight on accommodations, sights, restaurants or things to do would be greatly appreciated!

Central Maine
Level Contributor
451 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: 2 weeks in New England - itinerary help??

If you can I would urge you to shoot for farther north on Maine mid-coast from NH mts.

Perhaps take Rte 3 from Augusta to Belfast or Rte 17 from Augusta to Rockland to get a taste of the midcoast before heading down to Portland.

I had a Clambake suggestion but see that Cabbage Island Clambakes, Boothbay Harbor, goes only thru Labor Day.

Purduewriter91
Level Contributor
4 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2 weeks in New England - itinerary help??

Thanks very much!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
4,109 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 2 weeks in New England - itinerary help??

You're missing any lake regions, and they're beautiful in September. At least take a day trip through the NH lakes region from your White Mountains base, or get over to visit Sebago Lakes when you are in Portland.

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
170 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 2 weeks in New England - itinerary help??

Unless you have a very strong desire to visit MArk Twain's home in Hrrtford, I would suggest droppping that part of the trip..that costs a full day of driving for that one event, the rest of that days journey is probably not very interesting.

I would suggest going directly from Cape Cod to NH white mountains. THe area around Mt Washington isspectacular and worth visiting...suggest North Conway NH as a base for that visit, the Kancamagus highway to lincoln is very scenic, and the route 16 around Mt Washington also very scenic....a trip to the top of Mt Washington is worthwhile. From this area you could go to portland maine in about 1.5 hours the Old Port area in Portland is worth seeing and spending a night maybe.

Would then suggest heading up at least to Boothbay Harbor and Camden with maybe a visit at Freeport if that interests you..LL BEan alone is worth visiting there.

Camden and Boothbay are very scenic coastal downs withmany activities for visitors, Camden is especially good for scenic hikes to the top of MT Battie or Mt MEgunticook..views of the habor, islands, mountains lakes etc...fairly short hikes with big returns.

Also in North COnway area many scenic hikes if you are interested.

Hope this helps, would be happy to address any more specific questions you might have

enjoy your trip

Maine, USA
Level Contributor
1,580 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 2 weeks in New England - itinerary help??

I live in Maine and spent last weekend on Cape Cod. They have a great system of bike trials that run from Dennis to Provincetown. You can rent a bike fairly cheaply and take a nice ride for a couple hours or a day. Chatham, Orleans, Harwich are all lovely towns, but you could say that about just about any town on the Cape. Be sure to check out the National Seashore visitor center and some of the many lighthouses there. Nantucket if great, too, but you can't do everything.

While in the Portland area, why not spend a morning in Freeport? You can shop at LLBean and the outlets, and go on a kayaking adventure for only $15 (Saturday/Sunday only).

I would seriously consider at least one night in either Camden, Damariscotta or Boothbay. Each is a very nice harbor town, with nice drives nearby. There is great hiking in Camden Hills State Park.

6. Re: 2 weeks in New England - itinerary help??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 February 2010, 05:19