We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First timer

texas
10 posts
Save Topic
First timer

Hi, My husband and I will both be celebrating our 40th birthdays this year and we wanted to take a trip to Maine to enjoy the coast. We would like the "classic Maine" experience. Love the idea of a cottage (just need a small kitchenette) somewhere in a nice location with coastal view. Would like to be ablt to take day trips if possible. Any suggestions?

Mentioned in this post
Maine
Maine
United States
Bar Harbor, Maine
Level Contributor
6,865 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First timer

What time of year are you thinking of coming? The Acadia National Park area is beautiful in the fall. There are lots of cottage clusters to choose from. Check out www.acadiamagic.com

Mentioned in this post
Acadia National Park
Acadia National Park
Mount Desert Island, ME
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
4,109 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First timer

www.hightideinn.com

www.beloins.com

www.glenmoorbythesea.com

If it's September, be sure to take a afternoon trip to one of the nearby lakes, so relaxing at this time of year.

N Dartmouth MA
Level Contributor
1,826 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First timer

I'm coming up in October for my anniversary. Someone here recommended Cabot Cove Cottages in Kennebunkport. They look perfect. Check out this website.

www.cabotcovecottages.com

Mentioned in this post
Kennebunkport
Kennebunkport
Kennebunks, ME
texas
10 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: First timer

we are looking at sept/oct time frame. we like the cottages on kennebunkport but we will be bringing our 8 month old and they said no children under 12. We were looking on VRBO website too. Acadia looks beautiful. We were going to stay for a week and could stay 3 nights in 2 differnt spots maybe up north, inland, or portland area?

Mentioned in this post
Acadia National Park
Acadia National Park
Mount Desert Island, ME
Maine
Level Contributor
1,181 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First timer

The Midcoast area is lovely...you could look at Harpswell or Georgetown or Bath all would meet your criteria...

Mentioned in this post
Harpswell
Harpswell
Mid Coast Maine, ME
texas
10 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: First timer

Ok after looking on line for hours- these travel sites are so addicting - based on our dates (first of Oct) and budget, I think we narrowed it down to a cottage in Camden or one in Bar Harbor. We like Camdens central location and think we could see more with day trips vs staying the entire visit in Bar Harbor. Are we wrong in our assumption? For all you that have been there what would you recommend for first timers?

Mentioned in this post
Camden
Camden
Mid Coast Maine, ME
Bar Harbor
Bar Harbor
Mount Desert Island, ME
Maine
Level Contributor
1,181 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First timer

I personally love both of these locations...Camden is technically easier to do day trips from but not real accessible to other parts of Maine due to location off Rt. 1. What type of day trips were you thinking about? I have to say Bar Harbor that time of year is lovely and there is more than enough to do to keep you busy but to allow for relaxation at the same time. You have the park, the coast, the water, beaches, all kinds of shops...so I think you would find it totally enjoyable. From Bar Harbor there are all kinds of "day trips" just on MDI for you to do that I think you will love...so guess I would do Bar Harbor if it was me (sorry Camden I still do love you though!)

Mentioned in this post
Camden
Camden
Mid Coast Maine, ME
Maine
Maine
United States
Bar Harbor
Bar Harbor
Mount Desert Island, ME
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
4,109 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First timer

Camden would be great for day trips that time of year, a few lake areas nearby that you could visit, as well as some easy mountain hiking. Convenient with a baby because you can take short half-day trips and get a nap break in between back at your cottage. You could visit Rockland/Thomaston/Owl's Head (Waterman's Lobster Shack)....Belfast/Moose Point State Park....Searsport/Bucksport (Observatory Tower)....Lake St. George State Park (should be some good fall colors on the way)....and if you get rainy days take a drive into Augusta for the terrific Maine State Museum. You'll be lucky to be able to fit in half of what you'd like to do, because just sitting by your cottage at the ocean is going to seem like enough at that most beautiful time of year in Maine.

Mentioned in this post
Camden
Camden
Mid Coast Maine, ME
Rockland
Rockland
Mid Coast Maine, ME
Lobster Shack
Lobster Shack
889 Reviews
Ogunquit, ME
Belfast
Belfast
Mid Coast Maine, ME
Moose Point State Park
Moose Point State Park
66 Reviews
Searsport, ME
Searsport
Searsport
Mid Coast Maine, ME
Bucksport
Bucksport
DownEast and Acadia Maine, ME
Maine State Museum
Maine State Museum
247 Reviews
Augusta, ME
Maine
Maine
United States
texas
10 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: First timer

Love all the suggestions! Thank you so much. The more I look at it the more confused I get because everything seems so perfect. What about Rockland? We found a cabin on Ocean Stree that looks adorable. Is this a good area? What about South Bristol? If you were going to choose Kennebunkport vs Bar Harbor for a day trip what would you suggest? OH SO MANY CHOICES!

Mentioned in this post
Rockland
Rockland
Mid Coast Maine, ME
Kennebunkport
Kennebunkport
Kennebunks, ME
Bar Harbor
Bar Harbor
Mount Desert Island, ME
Maine
Level Contributor
1,181 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: First timer

Rockland is also very nice - slightly less touristy than Camden and often much cheaper to stay and so close get all same benefits. When in that area I always just consider them one location... not totally accurate since Rockland and Camden have very different histories and income basis but as far as location goes they are interchangeable in my mind (IMHO). I have driven through S. Bristol but not stayed there seems much more isolated than above options. Are you thinking a day trip from Camden area when you say Bar Harbor or Kennebunkport? If yes I would personally head to Bar Harbor as I think it is a prettier drive there and back so more along the way to see/do...and it is a little closer (about 2 hours versus 2.5 hours Kennebunkport). Having said that the drive to Camden to BH is all 2 lane roads and depending on traffic can be slow...

I will say I don't think of a day trip to Bar Harbor from Camden simply because there is so much to do in Bar Harbor that you will not get to do in a day that also involved 4 hours or more of driving. But that is just me...

Mentioned in this post
Rockland
Rockland
Mid Coast Maine, ME
Camden
Camden
Mid Coast Maine, ME
Bar Harbor
Bar Harbor
Mount Desert Island, ME
Kennebunkport
Kennebunkport