We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

8 days to see northern New England

England
6 posts
1 review
Save Topic
8 days to see northern New England

We visited New England 2 years ago but ended up seeing only the southern states because of early snowfall in NH and Vermont. This year we're here for 8 days from the 17th and want to travel up the Maine coast to Acadia then over to New Hampshire and Vermont before flying home. We like the outdoors and want to stay in really good B&B's/Inns and eat great food. I know we're coming to the right part of the country but can anyone please help with the best places to stay and to visit.

oregon
Level Contributor
88 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 8 days to see northern New England

Hello, We just returned home from a two week trip through Maine, NH and Vermont..beautiful part of the country. We started in Kennebunkport, Boothbay Harbor, Camden (try for reservations at the Hartstone Inn and make your reservations for the unbelievable five course dinner), Acadia (Manor House Inn-very nice and well priced), over to the White Mountains in NH, (Mt. Washington Hotel or a BB in Jackson), last stop for four days was Stowe Vermont-The Golden Eagle Resort was perfect...a spacious one bedroom suite with a fireplace, kit. etc. located within this charming town, easy to get around the area from this spot. Enjoy your trip.

Maine
Level Contributor
830 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 8 days to see northern New England

Please, please check out the Notchland Inn in Hart's Location, NH. B&B situated between No. Conway and Mount Washington. From the AAA handbook: "Exceptional location, handsome granite mansion built in 1862 in the midst of the White Mountains." Hospitality, romance, in-room fireplaces, fabulous dining. Can't recommend it enough! www.notchland.com

Cambridge...
Level Contributor
182 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 8 days to see northern New England

If you're looking for really good B&Bs with great food, then you have to stay at the Berry Manor Inn in Rockland. All the positive reviews on this site are true. It's easily the best B&B I've ever stayed in. And the food is excellent also. They serve a wonderful three course breakfast every morning. If you do stay there, see if they can get a reservation for you at Primos for a very good dinner.

New Ipswich, New...
Level Contributor
4 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 8 days to see northern New England

I currently live in Portland, Maine, formerly of NH as well...I would recommend the Stonehurst Manor in North Conway, NH or The Wentworth in Jackson, NH as nice inn's with great food. They both have great websites, do a google search. At the Stonehurst I woul stay away from the Mountain View Wing rooms, they are more like a motel room. Let me know if you have any questions about your trip, I would be happy to help you out! We have visited England and were treated with great hospitality and would like to return the favor! Email me: rachelhmurphy@juno.com

new york, NY
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: 8 days to see northern New England

You absolutely must stay at the Harpswell Inn in Harpswell Maine. It is right on the ocean and the rooms are great...lobster boats in the bay, and amazing sunsets because of the way the peninsula of harpswell juts out into the ocean. I never thought I could see so many colors in the sky. Also very peaceful and the inn keepers are really nice and knowledgable about activities in the area. My husband and I have gone in late spring and late autumn and love it all around.

England
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: 8 days to see northern New England

Thanks everyone for the great advice, it really helped me to plan what turned out to be a superb holiday - I even managed to catch the first two games of the World Series on TV! We decided to start in Vermont, staying in The Maple Leaf Inn in Barnard nr. Woodstock, a superb Inn with wonderful little touches such as the warm cookies and a hug from the owners as we left. Then to the Notchland Inn at Hart's Location in NH (thank you, Maine-ah) which was unbelivably good in all respects and probably our favourite of all the lovely Inns we stayed in. Be sure to have dinner there as it's one of the highlights. Maine was next - The Manor House in Bar Harbor. Again really friendly and half the price of the other places we stayed in. Finally to The Maine Stay in Camden, probably the most luxurious place we stayed in with magnificent rooms and breakfast. All in all everyone went out of their way to be friendly and helpful, the scenery was fantastic and we only saw a handful of Dunkin Donuts and MacDonalds. It will become a regular visit each Fall but perhaps next time a couple of weeks earlier.

Connecticut
2 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: 8 days to see northern New England

Just saw a great listing on www.pieceomaine.com, called Brad's Best Bets. It is a highlight of 10 Best Bets for experiencing Maine. Info on Acadia, Baxter, beaches and some restaurants, worth checking out

Connecticut
2 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: 8 days to see northern New England

Check out www.pieceomaine.com. they have a page called Brad' Best Bets, a list of 10 best bets for experiencing Maine. It's a good list, with info on Acadia, Baxter State Park, some restaurants and some shopping. very straighforward. Also there is a really great little restaurant in downtown Damarascotta I had brunch at last summer, the name escapes me, but if you stop there someone could tell you I'm sure. Also don't miss a stop at Moody's Diner if your driving up Rt. 1. Great food (especially the pie), great prices, in a fun diner atmosphere.