We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Does anyone know if the Saco Drive Inn is still open?

Level Contributor
2,378 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
Does anyone know if the Saco Drive Inn is still open?

Working out the details of our trip and interested in the Saco Drive Inn that was suggested in an earlier post. I can not seem to find by Goggling it if it is still in operation? Does anyone know? Is it an ok drive inn to take the kids? Thanks for your help.

Central Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
6,658 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Does anyone know if the Saco Drive Inn is still open?

"Business News" reports in a couple of Maine newspapers last February indicated that the current owner wanted to retire and was looking for someone to lease and operate the Saco Drive-In for the 2010 summer season.

Don't remember seeing any articles since then about a new operator taking over......and, although it's been a while, the last time I drove past the entrance, there was still a large "For Lease" sign on the marquee where they usually display the movie titles for the week.

Depending on how badly you want to know, you could call the Biddeford-Saco Chamber of Commerce at (207) 282-1567. They could probably tell you.

Level Contributor
2,378 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Does anyone know if the Saco Drive Inn is still open?

Thanks. Sounds like another Drive Inn is gone. That is sad. Thanks for the info.

By the way any sugestions for Portland hotels? Looking for our last night before we have to be in Boston the next day for an early evening flight out. Thought we could check out the Portland area as suggested in other posts. Would like to spend under $180 if possible. Thank you.

Maine
Level Contributor
161 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Does anyone know if the Saco Drive Inn is still open?

I posted a few weeks ago on the Saco forum that the drive in was opening up and indeed it has. Friday and Saturdays for now, they usually don't go 7 days/week until towards the end of June.

They have a facebook page as well.

Level Contributor
2,378 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Does anyone know if the Saco Drive Inn is still open?

Thanks I must have missed that post a few weeks ago. I will look at Facebook. Could not find anything with info on the web. Thanks

Central Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
6,658 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Does anyone know if the Saco Drive Inn is still open?

Thanks for the update Sunseeker.....guess I missed the prevous post as well....nice to know a Greater Portland tradition is alive and well.

Level Contributor
2,378 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Does anyone know if the Saco Drive Inn is still open?

Now that we know it is open how far is it from Portland? We will be coming back from Bar harbor and thought we would check it out our last night if they are showing kid friendly movies. We have not booked a hotel for the last night and were thinking Portland. We have a 6;30 PM flight the next day out of Boston. Any suggestions near the drive inn or area? Thank you for all the helpful ideas.

Maine
Level Contributor
756 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Does anyone know if the Saco Drive Inn is still open?

Another option to consider is the Pride's Corner Drive In in Westbrook just outside of Portland, I think it is actually closer to Portland than the Saco one. If that was your main goal for that night you could book a hotel just of the turnpike on the west side or Portland. There are 3 or 4 hotels grouped together in that area on Riverside St. From there it is a very short drive up to the drive in. As a general rule the drive in plays 2 movies the earlier one is more geared toward kids and the later one for adults. Note that I have never actually been to the Saco one so I do not know how it compares, I have been to the Prides Corner one and it was a standard drive-in, nothing fancy, but there were plenty of kids enjoying it. At least with two drive-ins nearby to consider you have a better chance of a good movie playing.

Level Contributor
2,378 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Does anyone know if the Saco Drive Inn is still open?

Thank you that was perfect info. We thought it would be fun to go to a drive inn if possible while on the trip. We have been before on vacation and the kids love it. I will check out the hotels you suggested. Thank you.

9. Re: Does anyone know if the Saco Drive Inn is still open?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 December 2010, 07:22