We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

small seaside village for a week

Fullerton...
Level Contributor
14 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
small seaside village for a week

My wife wants to spend a week in a quaint small seaside village on the coast of maine. Any suggestions.

Bar Harbor, Maine
Level Contributor
6,864 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: small seaside village for a week

What would she like to do while she's in that quaint small seaside village? Would she like to have a nice choice of breakfast, lunch, and dinner restaurants? Would she like to do a little shopping in small shops? Would she like to take day trips to other villages? Would she like to take a boat tour or do some hiking?

Or would she like the village to be so small that there is only one or two places to stay and a few dinner restaurants? Would she like to simply sit in a rocking chair on the wide front porch and watch the ferry come and go?

If she pictures more of the first scenario, then I'd suggest Boothbay Harbor or Camden or Bar Harbor -- all villages with a central walking area with shops and restaurants.

If she pictures the second choice, then I'd suggest taking a ferry out to Monhegan Island, where no car traffic is allowed and there is very little to do except enjoy the wonderul scenery.

Mentioned in this post
Boothbay Harbor
Boothbay Harbor
Mid Coast Maine, ME
Camden
Camden
Mid Coast Maine, ME
Bar Harbor
Bar Harbor
Mount Desert Island, ME
Monhegan Island
Monhegan Island
280 Reviews
Monhegan Island, ME
Charlotte, NC
Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: small seaside village for a week

You need to check out the town of Lubec. It's the easternmost point in the US and just over the bridge is New Brunswick, Canada. It's a very small town but some nice shops and a couple good restaurants. It's quiet, quaint and beautiful. The weather is awesome too! Much cooler than you would expect in mid-Summer and if you're lucky, you'll get to watch a true Maine coast fog roll in.

My husband, friends and I were just there the beginning of June and I'd go back in a heartbeat. We had a house overlooking Cobscook Bay. The secenery can't be beat and there are lots of places to explore nearby, such as Eastport - via water taxi, Campobello Island, NB and Monica's Chocolates. We even took a day trip into Bar Harbor which was fun but a little busy.

Check out one of the vacation rental websites and search in Lubec. You'll find something that meets your needs - probably for a lot less money than you think.

Mentioned in this post
Lubec
Lubec
DownEast and Acadia Maine, ME
Maine
Maine
United States
Eastport
Eastport
Bar Harbor
Bar Harbor
Mount Desert Island, ME
Brunswick, Maine
Level Contributor
2,493 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: small seaside village for a week

Camden woudl be perfect if she wants shopping, restaurants, hiking, day sails, lots of diversions.

If she wants more remote but still a few ammenities, try Harpswell, Port Clyde, Biddeford Pool, New Harbor, Georgetown, Vinalhaven, Castine.

Even more remote: Corea, Winter Harbor, Islesford, a cabin in Baxter State Park. :)

Mentioned in this post
Camden
Camden
Mid Coast Maine, ME
Harpswell
Harpswell
Mid Coast Maine, ME
Port Clyde
Port Clyde
Mid Coast Maine, ME
New Harbor
New Harbor
Mid Coast Maine, ME
Vinalhaven
Vinalhaven
Mid Coast Maine, ME
Castine
Castine
Winter Harbor
Winter Harbor
Baxter State Park
Baxter State Park
335 Reviews
Millinocket, ME
Fullerton...
Level Contributor
14 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: small seaside village for a week

Thanks for advise on Lubec. Do you remember the place that your rented and how to rent it. Any info would be greately appreciated.

Mentioned in this post
Lubec
Lubec
Brunswick, Maine
Level Contributor
2,493 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: small seaside village for a week

If you go to Lubec, be sure to take a passport so you can drive over into Canada to explore.

Mentioned in this post
Lubec
Lubec
6. Re: small seaside village for a week

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 January 2011, 05:17