We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1st time to Maine

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
65 posts
Save Topic
1st time to Maine

We want to visit a Maine beach this summer. (We usually go south.) We like the whole "boardwalk" atmosphere with things to do nearby though.

Can someone suggest a good area of Maine for a family with 8 children ranging in age from 2-12?

Any suggestions for a rental in the area that could hold 10 or 12 people? (We would consider 2 smaller places and split up.)

Also, are insects a consideration in any particular summer month?

Shaftsbury, Vermont
Level Contributor
740 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1st time to Maine

If your going for the boardwalk thing and want to be in Maine, I would say you'll want to go to Old Orchard Beach. There is a none stop party all summer long and you'll have some very happy kids. But for my money Old Orchard has never felt much like a vaction. It's more like a county fair with a little sand and water thrown in.

scituate, ma
Level Contributor
421 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: 1st time to Maine

Old Orchard Beach would give you that "boardwalk" atmosphere. I do hope you are in Maine long enough to see some of the unspoiled coastline. There is Reid State Park, just north of Portland, past Bath, with its beautiful sandy beach. Also check out the rocky coastline right around Portland at Two Lights State Park, amd visit Portland Head Light, the oldest lighthouse in America.

Insects are at their worst in the late spring/early summer, black fly season. But the problems is more inland, in the lake and mountains. Along the coast the breezes tend to keep the insects down.

There are rental listings in "Downeast" magazine, or you can check out cyberrentals.com.