We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Whoopie pies

INDIANA
Level Contributor
112 posts
122 reviews
Save Topic
Whoopie pies

When we took our trip to last year, I made a point to sample as many different Whoopie Pies as possible. (I'm glad we did alot of hiking.) My favorite, by far, was the Wicked Whoopie. Is there an overall Maine pick? Who really does make the best Whoopie Pie?

Mentioned in this post
Maine
Maine
United States
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
4,109 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Whoopie pies

Labadee's Bakery has the best that I've tried, but i don't care for Wicked Whoops . www.whoopiepies.com

Central Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
6,922 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Whoopie pies

Ask most Mainer's whose whoopie pie is best and the most likely answer will be "the ones mom made us while we were growing up." But that was back in the day when mothers baked a lot more than they do today and most commercial bakeries wouldn't have thought about competing with them.

Today, asking that question is more like asking folks which is their favorite soda pop.... everyone has their personal favorite, but overall consensus is a fleeting target.

While Wicked Whoopies and Labadee's both have large followings, so do numerous smaller manufacturer's, including small Maine diners who make their own version..... Doubt there is one true answer to your question.

My personal preference today is for Isamax Bakery's Wicked Whoopie, but others like Joesorce will definitely disagree....

For those still trying to pick a "favorite", I'd say try several and decide which one you pesonally prefer.

Mentioned in this post
Wicked Whoopies
Wicked Whoopies
212 Reviews
Freeport, ME
Maine
Maine
United States
Southern Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
4,037 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Whoopie pies

MainerOnTheGo is right: we all have our favorite family member or friend who makes the best whoopie pies ever :-) Although the original chocolate will always be my favorite, I am also a huge fan of maple whoopie pies.

New England
Level Contributor
1,294 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Whoopie pies

Oh please don't pick a favorite then you don't have to do any more research. LOL

I agree with other posters Mom's recipe is the best.

INDIANA
Level Contributor
112 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Whoopie pies

I thought there would be no true answer to my question, but the responses are fun. I doubt I could find any real problems with any whoopie. The Wicked Whoopies were my favorite though and especially the "baby" whoopie which had a mere 23 grams of fat in it...that was special. I think that my best quest, living down here in Indiana, would be to figure out how to make them myself. Thanks for the conversation...

Mentioned in this post
Wicked Whoopies
Wicked Whoopies
212 Reviews
Freeport, ME
Central Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
6,922 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Whoopie pies

"How to make them myself"..... Lots of reciepes out there. But if you're serious about wanting to make "good" ones yourself, check your local bookstore for a copy of (or have them order for you) a cookbook by a famous Maine cook and cookbook author named Marjorie Standish. Her reciepe is the basis for lots of "mom's whoopie's" across Maine. (The rest of her reciepes are "good, solid Maine comfort food" as well. Enjoy!!

Mentioned in this post
Maine
Maine
United States
New England
Level Contributor
1,294 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Whoopie pies

YOu could check WCSH channel 6. The owner of Wicked whoopies is on there a lot and I believe her recipie is on there.

Mentioned in this post
Wicked Whoopies
Wicked Whoopies
212 Reviews
Freeport, ME
Southern Maine
Level Contributor
654 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Whoopie pies

If you are in the Kennebunk area, the Landing Store on rte 35 makes a very nice whoopie pie. Dark chocolate, good creamy filling. The pumpkin whoopies in the fall are also really good!

Mentioned in this post
Kennebunk
Kennebunk
Kennebunks, ME
INDIANA
Level Contributor
112 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Whoopie pies

Thanks for all the tips...i will search out some recipes!

10. Re: Whoopie pies

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 October 2012, 07:15