We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

From Maryland to Maine

Lexington Park...
Level Contributor
3 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
From Maryland to Maine

We are leaving Lexington Park, MD and headed to Maine. Last year we made this trip and our GPS took us across the GW Bridge - OMG! We are looking for the best alternative to that. We have heard go 95 to the Jersey Pike and take the exit to the Tappan Zee? What exit number is that and what route does it connect to ? The GPS will have a fit - so I need to be prepared! Thanks!

Wolcott, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Bar Harbor
Level Contributor
907 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: From Maryland to Maine

The GW bridge can be fine or a nightmare. I hate it. Just before the GW bridge you can pick up the Palisades Parkway North. Take that to 287/87 towards the Tappan Zee Bridge. Stay on 287 to Rt 684 North towards Brewster. Take that to Rt 84 East and go from there. It might be a little longer up front but it also doesn't drop you on Rt 95 which can also be a nightmare. 684 to 84 is a much saner way to go to Maine from south of NYC. For us to Maine from 84 we do...84 East to 90 East to 290 East (Worcester) to 495 North to 95 North right into Maine. Good luck. Those GPS units can be so finicky!

Edited: 07 May 2011, 11:58
Wolcott, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Bar Harbor
Level Contributor
907 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: From Maryland to Maine

One more thing I forgot to type...If you're pulling a trailer or have commercial plates you can't use the Palisades Pkwy.

Lexington Park...
Level Contributor
3 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: From Maryland to Maine

Thanks for the hlep! We are not pulling a trailer and we don't have a commercial plate. Do you have an estimated drive time for this route? The other way was approxiately 12 hours.

Thanks for the help!

Central Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
6,695 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: From Maryland to Maine

Would suggest one change to Mr Somes routing above....and then offer a totally different alternative to consider....

Once you get to CT and are on I-84 East and then I-90 (the Massachusetts Turnpike) East, don't bother getting onto I-290 through Worcester to get to I-495. Just stay on I-290 until you get to I-495. We've made that part of your trip dozens of times over the years and have learned from experience that even though it looks shorter on the map, I-290 rarely saves time and very often takes longer due to the reduced speed limits and congestion issues in Worcester.... Much easier, and quicker, just to stay on I-90 to I-495 to I-95.

If heavy traffic, congestion etc. drive you as crazy as it does us, you might want to consider a route we often use from Maine to get to I-84 West to destinations in Pennsylvania and beyond.....

From your starting point, use Mrsomes to the Pallisades Parkway and to I-287/I-87. But instead of at I-685, continue on I-87 (the New York Thruway) north to Exit 21A, just south of Albany, NY. That will put you on the NY Thruway Extension, which will lead you directly onto the western end of the Mass. Turnpike (I-00). Then just run I-90 east until you get to I-495..... then I-495 north to I-95 north to Maine.

Yes, it's a bit longer and has more toll miles than going across I-84 in Connecticut....on the other hand, you avoid the traffic and congestion of the TTappan Zee Bridge, Danbury Connecticut, Waterbury Connecticut and Hartford Connecticut. Lot's of rural Interestate driving on our route -- only point that even gets a little congested is Springfield Massachusetts area.

Have never used our route to access your part of Maryland, but did check it out on a couple of on-line mapping websites -- they seem to agree that using our route should involve about 675 miles and between 10 1/2 and 11 hours of driving time to get from MD to Portland, ME. After fighing our way through George Washington Bridge traffic when we were much younger, then using I-84 through Connecticut as we got older and wiser, we now have concluded that any extra time or tolls to use the route suggested above is more than worth it due to the added peace-of-mind, ease-of-driving and reduced stress.

Level Contributor
48 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: From Maryland to Maine

We go up to Maine twice a year from the Eastern Shore of MD. We just go straight up the NJ Turnpike to the Garden State Parkway, work our way over to the Tapanzee on 287/87. From there it depends on the time of day etc which route we take. Sometimes I-84, Route 15 or 95. We always go through Hartford working our way up to the Mass Turnpike around to 495 hitting 95 in NH. Sometimes the trip is great, sometimes it's horrible. Anyway, have fun.

Level Contributor
48 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: From Maryland to Maine

By the way, you mentioned you have a gps. You can go into the computer and set your route up and then put it into the gps. What I did was put different way points in and then route to each waypoint on different legs of the trip. That way you stay on your planned route instead of going the gps way. Ours always wants us to go across the GW, that is, if I don't use the waypoints I entered. I drive it so often now tho, it's pretty much burned in my memory.

Edited: 11 May 2011, 13:31
Lexington Park...
Level Contributor
3 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: From Maryland to Maine

Thanks so much for the tip on the gps. I didn't know I could do that buy will definately try. The way you suggested is the way we ended up going. And it seemed the least stressful! Thanks!

8. Re: From Maryland to Maine

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 October 2012, 20:20