We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1 Stop Between Bangor and portland

Northern Indiana
Level Contributor
15 posts
79 reviews
Save Topic
1 Stop Between Bangor and portland

Going to be in Bangor this weekend for a wedding. Driving Sunday towards Portland. What would be a nice/fun/scenic town to stop and spend 1 night before heading to Portland?

Mentioned in this post
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
4,109 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1 Stop Between Bangor and portland

There's nothing really fun or scenic between Bangor and Portland on the freeway,unless you want a cabin at the lake (but those usually rent by the week). If you want to drive down the coast you could stop in Camden/Rockport for the night. What time do you need to be in Portland on Monday morning?.

Mentioned in this post
Bangor
Bangor
Maine
Camden
Camden
Mid Coast Maine, ME
Rockport
Rockport
Mid Coast Maine, ME
Central Maine
Level Contributor
451 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: 1 Stop Between Bangor and portland

For coastal route I too think Camden would fit the bill.

For turnpike route I would recommend Hallowell. Close to Augusta but a small village tucked along the Kennebec river. Lots of good eats, live music venues, interesting shops to meander through all along a few blocks riverside.

Mentioned in this post
Camden
Camden
Mid Coast Maine, ME
Kennebec Inn
Kennebec Inn
129 Reviews
Bath, ME
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
4,109 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1 Stop Between Bangor and portland

They are looking for an overnight stop, are there inns in Hallowell?

Central Maine
Level Contributor
451 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: 1 Stop Between Bangor and portland

Several B&Bs including Maple Hill Farm.

Maplebb.com

Northern Indiana
Level Contributor
15 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 1 Stop Between Bangor and portland

Thanks for the info. We are plannoing on driving one Hwy 1 to see some of the sights. Is Camden a good stop?

Mentioned in this post
Camden
Camden
Mid Coast Maine, ME
Central Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
6,922 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 1 Stop Between Bangor and portland

If you're going to try to follow US Rt 1, Camden would make a great stop! Take US Rt 1A from Bangor south through Hampden and Winterport to Stockton Springs, where you can pick up Rt 1 South to Portland.

As you come south into Stockton Springs, watch for signs for Rt 174 to your left to get to Fort Knox State Park and the Penobscot Narrows Bridge Observatory.... The Observatory is built into the top of one of the towers of a large suspension bridge and offers a great view of the surrounding area. You can Google both Fort Knox and the Observatory for more info. From the Observatory, you can continue south on Rt 174 for about a mile and pick up Rt 1 south without backtracking to Rt 1A.

As you come into Camden on Rt 1, watch for Camden Hills State Park signs. The portion of the park on the left side of Rt 1 as you come south includes an auto road to the top of Mount Battie -- another great view and photo op of the town of Camden, Camden Harbor and that section of the mid-coast.

Within downtown Camden, be sure to make your way down to the harbor and stroll along the waterfront.... great chance to check out the ships in port, maybe take a short cruise, and enjoy the harbor.... Some good restaurants in Camden and even more just a few miles south in Rockland....the local information booth on the harbor in Camden can be very helpful with recommendations.

One word of caution though -- while it parallels the Maine coast, much of Rt 1 is sufficiently inland that it doesn't always offer "coastal views". And once you get south of Rockland, true ocean views become few and far between until you get south of Portland.... Just didn't want you to expect a surfside drive like the Pacific Coast highway....

Mentioned in this post
Camden
Camden
Mid Coast Maine, ME
Bangor
Bangor
Maine
Stockton Springs
Stockton Springs
Mid Coast Maine, ME
Penobscot Narrows Bridge
Penobscot Narrows Bridge
347 Reviews
Prospect, ME
Camden Hills State Park
Camden Hills State Park
619 Reviews
Camden, ME
Mount Battie
Mount Battie
1,344 Reviews
Camden, ME
Rockland
Rockland
Mid Coast Maine, ME
Maine
Maine
United States
Northern Indiana
Level Contributor
15 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 1 Stop Between Bangor and portland

Excellent!! Thank you so much...Camden it is!!

Mentioned in this post
Camden
Camden
Mid Coast Maine, ME
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
4,109 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 1 Stop Between Bangor and portland

I'm not seeing a lot of availability in Camden for one night this Saturday but Cedar Crest Motel is at $80 per night on booking.com

You might also check with GlenmoorbytheSea.com and HighTideInn.com

Mentioned in this post
Camden
Camden
Mid Coast Maine, ME
Cedar Crest Inn
Cedar Crest Inn
148 Reviews
Camden, ME
9. Re: 1 Stop Between Bangor and portland

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 October 2012, 17:16