We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Quaint towns/villages

Cork, Ireland
Level Contributor
2,766 posts
260 reviews
Save Topic
Quaint towns/villages

Hi all, we are in New England for two weeks in early Sept. We originally were spending 2 nights in Woodstock VT, but we have cancelled that to spend more time in the White Mountains and Acadia. One of the things I really want to see, it a quintessential New England town/village, white steepled church, pretty town square and quaint buildings a must! I know this pretty much sums up Woodstock and I am worried that we are missing that ‘pretty village’ part of our trip now that we have cancelled Woodstock.

I wonder if the experts here could look at my itinerary and tell me if there are any villages we should visit en route between our stops or within about an hours drive of our bases that would give us that ‘quintessential New England village’ we are looking for. Our stops are booked and deposits paid, so I’m not willing to tweak the itinerary.

Boston (3 nights) -------- Ogunquit (3 nights – includes day trip to Portland) --------- Bar Harbor (4 nights) ------- Jackson (4 nights) ------- Boston (flight home, but flight not til 6pm so we could fit in a stop en route.)

Thanks in advance!

Cork, Ireland
Level Contributor
2,766 posts
260 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Quaint towns/villages

Bump... Anyone got any suggestions? I have received some good recommendations on the MA forum for our drive from Boston to Ogunquit and also on the NH forum for that part of our trip, but would love some suggestions for pretty villages in Maine. Especially en route from Bar Harbor to Jackson. Thanks in advance!

Southern Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
3,868 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Quaint towns/villages

How are you planning to travel from Bar Harbor to Jackson (route of travel)? There is no shortage of pretty, quaint villages in Maine. :-)

Central Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
6,864 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Quaint towns/villages

Suspect the reason you haven't heard much from Maine is that the conditions you describe "white church, town square and quaint buildings" no longer exist in many Maine towns.... we still have white churches, but not many on the town square.....in fact, not many town squares left any more... and quaint buildings on a town square near a church.... honestly can't think of anyplace that provides all three at once.... May be a few, but they aren't coming to mind right now....

That said, there are stil some very nice small New England villages still around.... While you're in Bar Harbor, check out nearby Northeast Harbor and Southwest Harbor....and of course the village green in downtown Bar Harbor.

En route from Bar Harbor to Jackson, depending on your route, you could check out Bethel, ME (village green near The Bethel Inn), downtown Farmington (nice open spaces a couple of spots downtown), Belgrade Lakes (nice little lakeside village), downtown Hallowell (old buildings and brick sidewalks), and maybe the area around downtown Gardinerl, where there is a church just off the town common but I don't think it's white....

If you'll give us your routing we may be able to come up with a few other nice places along the way, even if they don't literally meet the criteria you set out in your original question.....

Edited: 04 July 2011, 01:31
Cork, Ireland
Level Contributor
2,766 posts
260 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Quaint towns/villages

Hi, thanks for the replies guys! I am totally open with regards to the route from Bar Harbor to Jackson. My preference would be the most scenic route, we would prefer not to spend hours driving down featureless highways. So suggestions of a nice scenic route and any villages or points of interest we could detour to would be amazing!

Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Quaint towns/villages

Twin villages of Damariscotta / Newcastle. No town square, but everything else you describe.

6. Re: Quaint towns/villages

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 October 2012, 13:18