We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How do I plan a trip to Maine?

Illinois
2 posts
Save Topic
How do I plan a trip to Maine?

Where does a person begin to plan a vacation to Maine? When is the best time to vacation to Maine? What is there to see? We live in Illinois, so should we drive or fly? Any comments or suggestions are appreciated.

Maine
Level Contributor
830 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How do I plan a trip to Maine?

I suppose this forum is a pretty good place to start! What is there to see? Well, what would you answer someone who asked that about Illinois? So, my question to you is, Why are you thinking of vacationing in Maine? There must be something that leads you to think about a trip here.

Rockland, Maine
Level Contributor
26 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How do I plan a trip to Maine?

A great place to begin your planning is through the Maine Office of Tourism at http://www.visitmaine.com. The site is user-friendly and is packed with great photos of Maine. The features include where to visit, where to stay, things to do, events listings, and you can even browse by season. The best feature in my opinion is the Travel Packages listing. There are currently 349 getaway packages and most seem to make it easy to enjoy Maine....activities, accommodations, and dining all taken care of with one purchase. If you are a more hands-on planner you may want to order their Travel Planner (with my friend Linda on the cover rowing a boat near several windjammers!). This guide is packed with information and comes with a map of Maine too.

I live in Rockland so, of course, I think it is a great place to visit. If you are interested in lighthouses, art, hiking, kayaking, sailing, downtown shopping, and lobsters this is the town for you. You can walk out a mile-long rock jetty to visit the Rockland Breakwater Lighthouse, visit any of our three great museums (Farnsworth Art Museum, Maine Lighthouse Museum, and Owls Head Transportation Museum), take a windjammer cruise for 3,4, or 6-days, or get out on the water aboard a day sail for a few hours. You can hike miles of trails (most easy to moderate with some more challenging trails if you seek them out) at Camden Hills State Park with spectacular views of Penobscot Bay at the top. There are even whale watching and puffin excursions not too far away. You can visit http://www.therealmaine.com to order the area guide from our chamber of commerce.

Most people seem to come to Maine in July and August. That is when the temperatures are the warmest. You should come prepared for a variety of weather though because we say, "If you don't like the weather, just wait a minute!" Spring is a nice time to visit too. It can still be cool, you would avoid larger crowds and black flies. But fall is my favorite time...although the days are starting to get shorter, it is generally fairly comfortable, the air is clear, and the leaves change color for a magnificent display.

Good luck with your planning!

scituate, ma
Level Contributor
421 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: How do I plan a trip to Maine?

Best time of year to visit: September, the crowds have left, the days are still warm. Evenings can be cool, so bring some warm layers. September is also usually drier than Spring. Anytime after Labor Day weekend and you will find far fewer crowds and most places are still open.

To see: Mountains, lakes, coastline, lighthouses, Windjammers, fishing villages, the list goes on. The Maine coastline is stunning, and that's where most vacationers head. Inland Maine is dotted with lakes, both small and large. Western Maine has the mountains. What did you want to see? One of the most dramatically beautiful spots in Maine is Acadia National Park.

Fly, definitely. Unless you want a really long drive. You can fly into Portland and then drive up the coast.

Bradley, Maine
Level Contributor
685 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How do I plan a trip to Maine?

What types of things would you like to do? It's a pretty big state with a WIIIDE variety of accomodations and interests. Camping, hiking, rafting, leaf peeping, lighthouses, coastal, reading, hunting, snowmobiling, fishing, fishing or fishing, fly swatting, antiquing, B&B's, scenic drives, historical sites... you name it we got it... but where we suggest will highly depend on how long you are staying and what you'd like to do. So throw some ideas out there and we'll point you in the right direction.

5. Re: How do I plan a trip to Maine?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 March 2008, 21:54
6. Re: How do I plan a trip to Maine?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 September 2009, 13:19