We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time visitors to southern coastal Maine

knoxville
Level Contributor
37 posts
124 reviews
Save Topic
First time visitors to southern coastal Maine

Looking for some suggestions regarding how to spend the week on the coast of Maine in early October. We plan to rent a house and do day trips. How will the colors be at that time? How much time do we need to plan to drive from eastern TN to the southern coast of Maine?

Are the whales visible in that area at that time of the year? We would appreciate any recommendations you might offer. Thanks in advance for your help.

Central Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
6,672 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First time visitors to southern coastal Maine

If you haven't made reservations yet for a week on the Maine coast in early October, you may have limited choices -- early October tends to be the beginning of the peak Fall foliage season in coastal areas -- at least most years, although actual peak color varies from year-to-year.

If you're willing to take day trips from the coast to inland areas if necessary, you should find some great color somewhere in Maine.

Easiest access to the western Maine mountains will be from the general vicinity of Portland..... Easiest access to inland north-central Maine will be from places like Wiscasset, Rockland and Belfast....all offer good, major highway connections to interior Maine....as will the Bar Harbor arae, but chances of finding good October lodging there are probably "iffy" at best.

Knoxville TN to Portland ME should take you somewhere between 17 and 20 hours driving time (actual behind the wheel with the wheels turning) depending on traffic/day of the week/actual route choices, etc.

Best whale watching is generally from April to late September from any reports I've seen -- whales tend to start heading south in October. Doesn't mean you won't see any if you take a whale watching cruise -- just less likely that you'll actually see as many as you might earlier in the year -- and, of course, sightings are not a 100 percent sure-thing any time of year.

knoxville
Level Contributor
37 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First time visitors to southern coastal Maine

Thank you! You have been most helpful. I also thought accommodations would be difficult but have found numerous houses for rent for the week. Perhaps gas prices etc have reduced the driving visitors this year.

Maine
Level Contributor
887 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: First time visitors to southern coastal Maine

I've driven this route a few times. I live 30 minutes north of Portland and it takes me 13 hours total to get to Abingdon, VA, just before the Tennessee border. That's where I usually stop on the first leg of my cross country trips.

That time includes stops, but my stops are minimal, only gas and a quick burger. But that should give you an idea, if you know about how far you are from there.

4. Re: First time visitors to southern coastal Maine

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 October 2012, 03:19