We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A week in Maine

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
4 posts
98 reviews
Save Topic
A week in Maine

Okay, so we aren't going south, we are going north! The end of July, We will be staying in Bridgton Maine. A total of 4 adults, and 4 children (ages 4-11). We are trying to come up with ideas to fill our days. We don't want to miss any "highlights". We have a variety of things, such as......going to the coast for a day trip, Checking out waterfalls, blueberry picking. I need advice on boat tours-we are leaning towards Lucky catch cruises for the lobster and seals. Possibly portland discovery for the lighthouses, though the other family said maybe just drive to see the light houses.. As far as waterfalls, I need it to be safe enough for a 4 year old, Step Falls looked fun, as well as grafton notch state park-but not sure that is easy enough for the little one. And so Old orchard beach on a thursday just to explore the town and maybe fireworks. Free Farm day on sunday. And that;s about all I got. Oh, and we want to see a moose!, but not a moose tour. We dont want to be overly busy, and we dont really want to drive more then 2hrs in one direction. Also, recommendations on where to eat. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

Southern Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
3,679 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A week in Maine

Moose: I'd suggest the Rangeley area - just a little over your 2 hour limit, but not much. Having said that, moose can appear wherever. My friend's daughter saw one in a farm field while out running the other day.

Grafton Notch and waterfalls: Screw Auger Falls is incredibly accessible. Just pull off the road:

www.northeastwaterfalls.com/waterfall.php…

If you continue up through the Notch, into New Hampshire and back into Maine, you would have another opportunity for moose viewing.

Your kids will enjoy Old Orchard Beach. Besides the beach, there are arcade games and rides. Make sure you have some Pier Fries (with vinegar)!

Your families would also enjoy the Maine Wildlife Park in Gray (and you'd definitely see a moose!):

www.maine.gov/ifw/education/wildlifepark/

Southern Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
3,679 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A week in Maine

Another option for some fun activities in nearby in Naples. If you check this link, you'll see some of the possibilities:

www.visitmaine.com/region/lakes/naples/

Central Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
6,693 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A week in Maine

From Bridgton --

-- best moose viewing on-your-own Go from Bridgton to Rumford, ME, then take Rt 17 north toward Oquossoc and Rangeley.... Frequent moose sightings between Mexico, ME and Oquossoc, ME in small ponds/streams along the roadside.... If that doesn't work, go into Rangeley and take Rt 16 north toward Stratton, ME -- known locally as "moose alley" -- no guarantees, but two of the most likely sections of highway anywhere in the state to find moose on/near the roadside.

-- For the kids, head north from Bridgeton to Fryeburg and cross into New Hampshire.... Take Rt 16 north from Conway to Glen and a place called Storyland NH -- great destination for klids the age of yours.... Google it for info

-- In downtown North Conway NH (on the way to/from Storyland), check out the Conway Scenic Railroad (steam trains and excursion rides) Google Conway Scenie Railroad for details

-- South of Bridgton in Gray ME is the Maine Wildlife Park, operated by the Maine Department of Fish and Wildlife..... features live examples of virtually every animal species native to Maine..... moose, deer, bear, woodchucks, porcupines, birds and fish....oh, my. Easy walking for the little ones... plenty of shade on a hot sunny day.. Google Maine Wildlife Park for more info....

-- Rainy day -- North Conway NH for Mount Washington Observatory Weather Discover Museum.... kid-friendly, kid-oriented displays and activities relating to the most severe weather location in New England -- the peak of Mt Washington. Google it for details and info -- and kids will love a place called The Cupcakery in the building next door.

Maine
Level Contributor
888 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: A week in Maine

Bridgton has one of the few remaining drive-ins also. Fun nighttime activity.

Central Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
6,693 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: A week in Maine

Soxfan -- No offense intended, but some folks aren't old enough to remember when referring to a "drive-in" meant a drive-in movie theater, not a drive-in snack bar or restaurant. Hope you don't mind the clarification....

The drive-in theater reference brought back some great memories -- now if I could only remember anything about the movies themselves....hmmmm....

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
4 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: A week in Maine

Thanks for details. As far as the drive-in, I do know what one is. In fact we have 3 near by in Pennsylvania. For moose sighting, known roads would be helpful (thanks maineronthego). Still waiting for info on where to eat. Also, anything that is a must see.....within our 2hr driving range. We are about 3 or 4 hrs from acadia, so we wont be going there this trip. But if you think of anything else, please feel free to write about it! Thanks!

Maine
Level Contributor
888 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: A week in Maine

Thanks for the clarification MOTG.

I'm guessing your windows were too fogged up to remember the movies themselves.

Central Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
6,693 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: A week in Maine

Can't help much with places to eat in/around Bridgton..... rarely seem to end up there at mealtime....and, at least from our observations, not a wide range of choices there.... If you're headed up Fryeburg way....and like smokehouse food, try 302 Smokehouse, right on Rt 302 in the middle of the village.... Not soaked or dripping in sauce....smoked in some great dry rubs...and served with well-prepared, tasty fries....

9. Re: A week in Maine

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 October 2012, 11:16