We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

tollroads

Wauwatosa, Wisconsin
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
tollroads

We are planning a vacation his fall and will be traveling by car thru he state of Me. and Ma.. Are there toll roads and if so will my IPASS (from Il) work there??

Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
1,392 posts
226 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: tollroads

Yes, there are tolls on the Maine Turnpike.

www.illinoistollway.com/portal/page…

According to the information page on your own IPass from Illinois, (see link above) your pass should work in Maine.

Edited: 18 July 2011, 19:57
Bar Harbor, Maine
Destination Expert
for Bar Harbor, Acadia National Park
Level Contributor
3,853 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: tollroads

See also:

https:/…facilities.jsp

I presume that reciprocity is the rule.

Central Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
6,672 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: tollroads

And according to the Frequently Asked Questions page of the Maine Turnpike Authority website, the Illinois Toll Highway Authority electronic pass, which I'm guessing is the IPass in question, is accepted on the Maine Turnpike. Appears that Mass Turnpike will also accept it....

birmingham, mi
Level Contributor
159 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: tollroads

We have no toll roads in Michigan. How do you buy one and for what amounts do they come in?

Bar Harbor, Maine
Destination Expert
for Bar Harbor, Acadia National Park
Level Contributor
3,853 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: tollroads

If you are thinking about one simply for the trip to Maine, I'm not sure that it's worth it. My Maine EZPass cost $46.25---$26.25 for the tag (transponder) and $20 for the opening balance (to cover tolls).

Maybe the Illinois pass would be cheaper (see the url in reply #1, above).

For what it's worth, the Maine url is:

www.ezpassmaineturnpike.com

birmingham, mi
Level Contributor
159 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: tollroads

I drive to NY, NJ and Illinois once ayear. Does anyone know where it would be cheapest to buy an Easypass or is it the same cost everywhere?

Central Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
6,672 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: tollroads

Not the same cost everywhere....but am not aware of any single location that provides a side-by-side comparison of the costs in the various states that honor each others passes. For a once-a-year trip, even to three states, it may or may not be a good investment, depending on which state you choose. Here in Maine, there's a basic charge for the transponder unit that goes in/on your car (think it's $20.00 if i remember correctly) and a minimum amount you need to put into your account just to activate it -- the actual toll costs are then deducted from your account balance whenever you pass through a toll booth.... So between the transponder fee and the up-front toll pre-payment, you may be better off just paying the toll for infrequent trips. If you do a lot of in-state travel like we do, the discounted tolls for using the EZ-Pass, plus the ability to by-pass the cash-paying lines at the toll booths are worth the up-front cost.

Lunenburg, Canada
Destination Expert
for Saint John, Foz do Iguacu, Iguazu National Park
Level Contributor
3,685 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: tollroads

Hi Wauwatosa!

My E-ZPass, issued in Mass, works in Illinois. If yours is issued by the Illinois Tollway, you can expect it to work in Maine.

But who cares! All Maine toll highways as well as the Mass Turnpike have cash lanes. The chief benefit of E-ZPass is that you can avoid the lines in the cash lanes, but if by some quirk your IPass weren't compatible (which would greatly surprise me) you can pay cash.

You can also pay cash, by the way, in the Canadian Maritime provinces, except that E-ZPass doesn't currently work up here.

Happy travels!

David

capetien10@gmail.com

Lunenburg, Canada
Destination Expert
for Saint John, Foz do Iguacu, Iguazu National Park
Level Contributor
3,685 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: tollroads

Birmingham,

Each E-ZPass state is different.

Some states, such as Maine, charge a deposit for the E-ZPass transponder. Others, like Mass, offer it free. I'm a Canadian, so when I needed one I got it from Mass.

Wikipedia contains an interesting comparison of the benefits and costs of the plan in each particular state. If you're trying to decide which one to pick, look at the Wikipedia article on E-Z Pass.

David

birmingham, mi
Level Contributor
159 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: tollroads

Thanks for the information!! This site is so great for answering even obscure questions.