We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Planning a first time visit to Maine coast in Sept.

Georgia
3 posts
Save Topic
Planning a first time visit to Maine coast in Sept.

I have planned our 7 days on the coast. Please need guidance if this seems like we are going to maximize our time.

Day 1-arrival into Portland. First night in Harpswell

Day 2-travel Through Boothbay arriving Port Clyde

Day 3-ferry to island begin early am. Back at lunch- travel to bar harbor. Arrive mid afternoon

Day 4 bar harbor

Day 5- mid morning leave, travel to lubec. Lighthouse tour- travel back to Camden. Approx. 6 pm arrival in Camden

Day 6- Camden

Day 7- Camden. PM travel back to Portland, tour Cape Elizabeth and Portland Head Lighthouse. Airport hotel

Day 8- early flight home

If this is workable, I would appreciate suggestions for restaurants and not to be missed sites / activities!

Central Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
6,667 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Planning a first time visit to Maine coast in Sept.

Wonder a bit about Day 5.... Leaving Bar Harbor mid-morning.....lighthouse tour in Lubec....and back to Camden arriving about 6:00 PM? Hmmmm.... under good conditions (weather and traffic) you're looking at about 6 hours of just driving time (not counting stops for gas, bathrooms, lunch, etc.).....

Not sure how long the lighthouse tour in Lubec is, but guess I'd have to wonder if it's really worth all that extra driving..... Sounds like an awful lot of "windshield time" to me.... but only you can decide whether or not it's worth it to you....

By the way -- although I've never taken it, I understand there's a lighthouse tour operating in Portland as well... Might want to think about skipping Lubec, heading for Camden mid-morning on Day 5, using the PM of Day 5 and all of Day 6 for your day-and-a-half in Camden, then heading for Portland the AM of Day 7 to arrive in time for a lighthouse tour there....

And if your Lubec lighthouse tour includes any stops on Canadian soil, bring your passport or passport card to make sure you can get back into the US without a hassle....not as simple as it used to be before 9-11.

Georgia
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Planning a first time visit to Maine coast in Sept.

Thanks for your guidance

Brick, NJ
Level Contributor
355 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Planning a first time visit to Maine coast in Sept.

Stay two nights in Barharbor it is such a great town and Acadia has so much to see.

iowa
Level Contributor
54 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Planning a first time visit to Maine coast in Sept.

We have been to Boothbay twice on our trips to Maine and both times we have to stop and get clam chowder at McSeagulls! It is the best chowder we had on both our trips to Maine.

Cape Elizabeth...
Destination Expert
for Portland, Antigua
Level Contributor
1,437 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Planning a first time visit to Maine coast in Sept.

I am also questioning day 3 and the ferry to island-----I presume you mean Monhegan. It's a beautiful place and that is not really enough time to explore. I don't think getting back by lunchtime and then driving to Bar Harbor works very well.

Vestal, New York
Level Contributor
30 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Planning a first time visit to Maine coast in Sept.

Oh my!! You will not want to cover all that ground in one week! We summer in ME yearly, altho' not on the coast. We drive to the coast from our camp - it takes about an hour to get to the closet coastal town. We "do" just one small area in one day - such as the Harpswell peninsula, the Camden area, etc. The peninsulas are long, the traffic is sometimes heavy, etc. Just concentrate on smaller "chunks" of area and you will enjoy it more. When we go to Acadia, we spend several days just there. I'll be anxious for a report when you return to GA.

7. Re: Planning a first time visit to Maine coast in Sept.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 October 2012, 19:16