We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Greenville or Camden area?

Jersey City, New...
Level Contributor
72 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Greenville or Camden area?

I posted a message early about traveling to Maine. After some research I'm still stuck on what to do.

My husband and I will be driving from NJ to Maine in the beginning of October for a full week. We would like to end up in Bar Harbor for a few days but would like to see other places on the way. Our first stop would be Portland for the day.

After Portland we were thinking of either going to Camden or Greenville for 2 nights. Any thoughts? Which is better? My husband would like to go on a moose tour. I know it's not a guarantee but he would like to try to see a moose. After that we would go to Bar Harbor for the remaining time.

The Maine Brew Bus
Distillery Tours, Beer Tastings & Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Food Tours, Wine Tours & Tastings
Portland Fire Engine Co
Sightseeing Tours, City Tours
Schooner Yacht Heron
Boat Tours, Eco Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Day Trips
Central Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
6,882 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Greenville or Camden area?

Think you've got a decision to make that only the two of you can make.... Let's consider:

-- Camden is "on the way" from Portland to Bar Harbor....Greenville is not...

Portland-Camden-Bar Harbor is about 150 miles; Portland-Greenville-Bar Harbor is about 275....

-- Camden will give you a "coastal Maine" experience with a nice salt-water harbor, numerous good seafood restaurants in Camden and nearby Rockland, and a nice, walkable downtown of shops. Greenville will give you more of a "north woods" experience with Moosehead Lake (Maine's largest) on the edge of town. Depending on how early you're here, the steamboat Katahdin cruises the lake until October 8th...could be a fantastic ride if foliage is peak that week... Smallish downtown with fewer retail and restaurant choices than Camden...

-- Moose sightings in Camden are quite rare -- Moose sightings around Greenville are quite common and some of the local folks even run "moose tours" (for a fee) to help improve your chances of an actual sighting...but some end their season the first or second week in October, so you might want to do some on-line research (try Googling Moose Tours Greenville Maine) and make your reservations ahead of time...

-- Rt 1 from Portland to Bar Harbor is not "coastal" all the way -- many miles of basically wider two-lane roadway are just far enough inland that you don't see the coast. There are only a few basic routes to Greenville (all including some up-and-back on the same route at least part of the way) and includes miles-and-miles of narrower two-lane roadway with nothing but woods for scenery (which some of us enjoy, while others do not).

You need to look at: the extra mileage, coastal vs inland destination, greater vs fewer lodging and restaurant choices, moose vs no moose and decide what matters most to the two of you....

Personally, if you can get to Greenville before The Katahdin and the moose tours shut down for the season, and happen to catch some good foliage, it could be a great addition -- and contrast -- to your Bar Harbor trip. Absent the chance to do those things, I'm not sure I'd put in the extra mileage for just two nights....

Southern Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
3,920 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Greenville or Camden area?

At that time of year in the Greenville area, you may be arriving during the moose hunt.

maine.gov/ifw/…season

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
4,109 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Greenville or Camden area?

Greenville/Moosehead Lake would be a nice day trip from Bar Harbor and very scenic at that time of year. You might not see a moose but you will definitely see many signs declaring CAUTION, HIGH NUMBER OF MOOSE CRASHES NEXT SIX MILES.

Drive carefully !

…typepad.com/.a/6a00e009898f3888330120a6125a…

Moosehead Lake...
Level Contributor
11 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Greenville or Camden area?

Greenville and the Moosehead Lake region are beautiful during October. The mountains are rolling with vibrant fall colors. The drive from Portland to Greenville is beautiful and yes, you have a great opportunity to see moose. Moose are in the rut during October, so bulls are very active. Northeast Guide Service leads guided moose tours daily through mid October. I joined them for rafting in Maine the last 3 years and they do daily moose watching tours. Check them out!

5. Re: Greenville or Camden area?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 October 2012, 03:15