We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New England self drive

dublin
Level Contributor
74 posts
1 review
Save Topic
New England self drive

Hello there

Looking for some advice on a self drive holiday in New England next May. this will be part of our honeymoon and we will 11 days in the area. Our current plan is to fly into Boston on the 14th of May, and fly out on the 25th. We thought we would spend three nights in Boston, hire a car and spend some time driving through Maine, New Hampshire and Vermont.

Places we would like to visit in particular are Acadia NP, White Mountain area and perhaps also the Green Mountain area of VT. Thoughts at the moment are to drive from Boston to Bar Harbour and overnight here for 2/3 nights, then head across to WM for another 2/3 nights. After this would welcome suggestions of other bases to stay in for the last couple of nights.

We like to take in some walks, perhaps horse back riding, and love to stay in nice towns and get a feel for the place. Also my boyfriend loves to try local beer so we would definately like to take in some microbreweries along the way.

I am posting this in each of the Maine, Vermont and New Hampshire forums as I cannot find a New England forum. Any advice would be very welcome !

Thanks

Anne

Maine
Level Contributor
894 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: New England self drive

First, that's alot to see in 11 days, with alot of driving. I understand wanting to see a little of everything, but it may feel like you are in the car all the time and not really enjoying where you are.

Not sure when your flight arrives in Boston or what your plans are there, but you could probably see the highlights in 2 days (freedom trail, historical sights, etc). If you're shopping too, then 3 days might be good. Otherwise you might consider spending the 3rd night in Portland, Maine. It will break up the drive from Boston to Acadia. Take a drive over to Portland HeadLight in Cape Elizabeth while you're in the area.

Then on to Acadia where I would recommend 3 nights instead of 2. There is so much to see there you'll probably wish you had longer.

For breweries:

In Boston I think the Harpoon Brewery is a good one.

In Portland there is the Shipyard Brewery and also Gritty McDuff's brewpub.

3 Dollar Dewey's is not a brewpub, but has lots of beer on tap.

Here's a good site listing Maine breweries and brewpubs.

http://www.mainebrewersguild.org/

Edited: 16 August 2011, 17:01
dublin
Level Contributor
74 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: New England self drive

Thanks Soxfan for that information and for that link, looks good ! appreciate your response and will think about an overnight in Portland.

Thanks

Anne

Bar Harbor, Maine
Destination Expert
for Bar Harbor, Acadia National Park
Level Contributor
3,888 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: New England self drive

I agree with soxfan about Portland and Acadia. Portland, especially the Old Port area, is great for restaurants and pubs. Here on Mt. Desert Island, there is a great little brewery---Atlantic Brewery. I don't know if its brew pub will be open in May but if not, its beers and ales are featured at most places in the area.

dublin
Level Contributor
74 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: New England self drive

Thank you cwvoight - much appreciated

any recommendations for accommodation in Bar Harbour itself? we would like to stay somewhere within walking distance of the town if not right in it.

Thanks

Anne

Bar Harbor, Maine
Level Contributor
6,480 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: New England self drive

Accommodations in Bar Harbor -- take a look at sleepbarharbor.com. Many of the inns and B&Bs there are right in the village. You can walk to everything. Personal recommendation for Aysgarth Station, Hearthside Inn, and Saltair. The first two are on quiet side streets right in the village. The third is on West Street, right on the water.

dublin
Level Contributor
74 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: New England self drive

Thank you Bonnie, Saltair looks gorgeous !

Bar Harbor, Maine
Level Contributor
6,480 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: New England self drive

You are welcome. Saltair really is nice. A very nice young, enthusiastic, knowledgeable couple own and run it. Convenient to everything. Yummy breakfasts.

8. Re: New England self drive

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 October 2012, 18:16