We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

trip planned to NH and ME.... is this doable?

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
51 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
trip planned to NH and ME.... is this doable?

I am planning a trip with my med school student daughter on her fall break. We are planning to fly into Manchester NH on Sunday October 2 and plan to drive to the White Mts area and stay the night in Jackson. Then we plan to visit Acadia and then Boothebay? on the way back to fly out on Friday October 7 at about noon. We will not be hiking but are interested in " easy walks".

Her interest is seeing whales :)

I would like to be on the coast as much as possible. I've read some great things on this site about Cabbage Island. But I would like to see the mountain foliage in NH.

One thing that I would like to avoid is anything that resembles the mess that Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg TN has become. Shopping is not a priority (on this trip) We don't have much interest in B&Bs , but would consider if highly reccomended.

Our budget of course is not unlimited, but I would like to stay somewhere nice and that is quiet and has wifi.

Thanks so much!

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,605 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: trip planned to NH and ME.... is this doable?

For those of us not familiar with it, can you elaborate on what the "mess is that Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg TN" is? That will help to provide some guidance for you. Also are you leaving from the Manchester airport as well?

Edited: 02 September 2011, 00:28
Central Maine
Level Contributor
451 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: trip planned to NH and ME.... is this doable?

FYI Cabbage Island Clambake closes for the season on 9/11.

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
51 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: trip planned to NH and ME.... is this doable?

Bumper to bumper traffic jams for miles and hours of sitting. Very beautiful area just too many people.

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
51 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: trip planned to NH and ME.... is this doable?

Yes we are planning to fly out of Manchester.

Bar Harbor, Maine
Level Contributor
5,780 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: trip planned to NH and ME.... is this doable?

Pigeon Forge is a four-lane divided highway with outlet malls, go-kart rides, water slides, dancing bears, country music pavilions, Dixie Stampede floor show (recreates the Civil War complete with hoop-skirted Southern Belles and charging horses), and chain hotels for eight to twelve miles, leading to the Smokey Mouintain National Park.

Gatlinburg is a tourist mountain town, after Pigeon Forge and before the National Park. It has a chair lift up to a ski slope and dancing bear exhibit. It has a Space Needle ride. It has a Haunted House, Ripley's Believe It or Not, Wax Museum, and some kind of Bible Show. Also many fudge shops and shopping malls along with restaurants and high-rise motels.

One would be hard-pressed to find anything in Maine that came anywhere near matching the horror of Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg.

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
51 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: trip planned to NH and ME.... is this doable?

You summed up the Gatlinburg area quite nicely... to be fair lots of people like it. it's just not for me the way it is now. I remember when ( as a child) Pigeon Forge did not exist ( as a tourist town).

We are very excited to come to ME and enjoy the experience.

Bar Harbor, Maine
Level Contributor
5,780 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: trip planned to NH and ME.... is this doable?

Indeed, lots of people like it -- thus the traffic headaches. I too remember Pigeon Forge before the outlet malls. I lived in Oak Ridge, Tennessee for 26 years. I'm very, very happy to be living in Maine these past 15 years. You'll love it here. The fall foliage in the mountains of Acadia National Park should be very colorful for your visit.

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,605 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: trip planned to NH and ME.... is this doable?

Oh my! As Bonniemaev said, nothing like that in Maine (thank goodness). While there may be some traffic congestion in high season (summer and fall) along Route One in Maine, no Haunted Houses or Wax Museums. (Perhaps a fudge or salt water taffy shop or two).

There are whale watch boat trips out of Bar Harbor and Boothbay so you can play that part of your trip by ear, depending on the weather when you reach those towns.

We rent vacation homes/cottages when visiting the area so I am not able to offer specific accomodation recommendations, but there are many hotels, motels and B and B's in Bar Harbor and surrounding towns.

Edited: 02 September 2011, 02:49
Illinois
Level Contributor
1,085 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: trip planned to NH and ME.... is this doable?

Quote:

For those of us not familiar with it, can you elaborate on what the "mess is that Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg TN" is?

LOL...Well, have you ever been to the Wisconsin Dells?

Dalton, Georgia
1 post
Save Reply
10. Re: trip planned to NH and ME.... is this doable?

We are planning a trip in October 8-16. What is the weather like then. I was told that was peak fall season. We are also having trouble finding accomodations that is reasonable. We would love to stay on the coast instead of a hotel. Any suggestions?