We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trip to Sebago Lake/ White Mts area questions

Ohio
Level Contributor
1,259 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Day trip to Sebago Lake/ White Mts area questions

We will be spending a couple nights in Old Orchard beach this Sunday and Monday, and are considering driving up into the area near Sebago Lake -- up to Moose Pond maybe or perhaps further. I'd love some feedback on what the area is like (compared to the coast) from the standpoint of scenery, fall foliage, wildlife viewing, and the towns. Is it worth it to drive on up to the White Mountains and New Hampshire? Thanks for any input you all can provide. We leave Sunday morning!

Central Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
6,667 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day trip to Sebago Lake/ White Mts area questions

Latest official Fall Foliage Report from the Maine Department of Conservation (which surveys Maine Forest Rangers statewide for foliage conditions) issued Wednesday, Sept 28, report "Low" color in the area(s) around Sebago.... White Mountains area in New Hampshire, or western Maine mountains region of Maine (near Bethel for example) are reporting higher color levels. Foliage color generally develops first in the higher elevations, then progresses toward the coast. Absent some very unusual conditions, I'd expect to find better color in the White Mountains area (like Rt 16 between Gorham and Jackson, NH or Gorham and Errol, NH) or the western Maine mountains (Bethel, Grafton Notch State Park, etc. than I'd expect around Sebago.... Still just a little too early for most southern areas....

Ohio
Level Contributor
1,259 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day trip to Sebago Lake/ White Mts area questions

Thank you! So if we head up near Bethel from OOB, what is the best route to take up and back for the best scenery?

Maine
Level Contributor
274 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day trip to Sebago Lake/ White Mts area questions

Here is a suggested route to Moose Pond, which won't take the entire day just to drive. If you add Bethel, it will add about another three hours round trip. You will see farmland, villages, some spot foliage and even a covered bridge. Have fun!

http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=Old+Orchard+Beach,+ME&daddr=43.67083,-70.69036+to:43.79349,-70.65117+to:43.79349,-70.65117+to:43.79349,-70.65117+to:43.7947362,-70.6527707+to:Main+St+to:44.01065,-70.96132+to:ME-160+S%2FME-25+W%2FOssipee+Trail+to:Exit+2A&hl=en&ll=44.020718,-70.816154&spn=0.125909,0.429153&sll=43.652472,-70.743027&sspn=0.126688,0.298347&geocode=FXsFmAIdsh_O-yk9ka6OVaGyTDFWU_MgWkLsJw%3BFS5dmgIdyFnJ-ynBSl5mMOqyTDEqYeAuzDEV7Q%3BFVI8nAId3vLJ-ynrbISp3PGyTDFDGdP629IjMg%3BFVI8nAId3vLJ-ynrbISp3PGyTDFDGdP629IjMg%3BFVI8nAId3vLJ-ynrbISp3PGyTDFDGdP629IjMg%3BFTBBnAIdnuzJ-yntIrHJxPGyTDFO93nmP_ZDgw%3BFfY0oAIdivzI-w%3BFZqMnwIdWDfF-ynfpXynSaizTDEVdE7IcUo2_g%3BFTJDnAIdWpnF-w%3BFQXzlwIdLUzN-w&vpsrc=6&mra=mr&via=1,2,3,4,5,7&t=m&z=12

Ohio
Level Contributor
1,259 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day trip to Sebago Lake/ White Mts area questions

Thank you for the route. I do think we will head up to Bethel, and am wondering if the route shouldn't include a bit of NH int the White Mountains also? (not sure what we'll be able to see of the mountains from Bethel area...) We do have to return to OOB that evening, so our sightseeing hours are limited, but if it's really beautiful that way I'd hate to miss it. What do you all think?

Also, any good places to stop for lunch along the way?

So excited! Leaving in 2 days!

Southern Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
3,607 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Day trip to Sebago Lake/ White Mts area questions

I would head up the Maine Turnpike to Gray, then take Route 26 to Bethel. Along the way, you will pass by the Shaker Village in New Gloucester:

http://www.shaker.lib.me.us/

If you take the extremely slight detour to actually drive through the village (which was once Route 26 before it was rebuilt), the view from there is one of my favorites.

You will also drive through Norway/South Paris. Depending on time of arrival, you could eat at Maurice's:

mauricerestaurant.com/Calendar/calendar.php

Snow's Falls is a pretty stop/rest area:

www.newenglandwaterfalls.com/waterfall.php…

If you get to Bethel and feel like continuing, head up into Grafton Notch State Park:

visitmaine.com/organization/…

Central Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
6,667 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Day trip to Sebago Lake/ White Mts area questions

If you're willing to get a good start in the morning....and don't have to be back in OOB too early that evening, you could try the following route....

-- I-95 to Gray

-- Rt 26 from Gray to Bethel with a stop at the Shaker Village along the way

-- US Rt 2 from Bethel to Gorham, NH -- passes through a section of the White Mountains National Forest and roughly parallels the Androscoggin River

-- NH Rt 16 from Gorham NH to Glen NH -- passes through more of the White Mountains National Forest and passes through Pinkham Notch -- also passes the base of the Mt Washington Auto Road (although unless you get a very early start you probably won't have time today to drive up the mountain and back...but a good view from the base area if foliage is good....

-- US 302 from Glen, NH to Windham ME -- passes through some of the western Maine mountains area and the "lakes" region around Naples.... also passes through the congested section of North Conway, but you can avoid much of the traffic by taking a left at the third traffic light in North Conway village, then a right onto the North-South Road just before you cross the railroad tracks and follow it all the way to the traffic light near Wal-Mart, where a left will put you back on Rt 302 headed toward Center Conway and Fryeburg, ME

-- ME 115 from US 302 in Windham, ME to I-95 in Gray, and

-- I-95 back to Old Orchard Beach....

Under normal conditions, this would be a five to five-and-one-half hour trip (driving time only, not counting stops for gas, lunch, sightseeing etc -- just driving), but given that it's foliage season, I'd plan on six just to be safe....

As far as lunch is concerned -- have a good breakfast in the morning, grab a snack at Smedberg's Farm Stand (on your left just before you get to Norway, ME), and when you get to Jackson, NH (just north of Glen), swing into the village (a left off Rt 16) and look for the Post Office. The deli next door makes good sandwiches and pastries. Get a lunch to-go, take a left to cross the small bridge in Jackson village, then an immediate right up the hill. Near the top of the hill is a turnout with parking places, a nice view of the water rapids, and some picnic tables -- great spot for lunch and probably quicker than going into a restaurant this time of year.....

7. Re: Day trip to Sebago Lake/ White Mts area questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 October 2012, 00:17