We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary road trip suggestions through New England

Level Contributor
42 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Itinerary road trip suggestions through New England

2 Adults, no kids. June 5-10. Looking for suggestions for a road trip through New England starting in Boston. We like architecture, art and fine dining. Love scenic drives, but probably won't get out and "rough it". Any particular lodging suggestions would also be appreciated.

Maine
Level Contributor
830 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary road trip suggestions through New England

I'd be envious if you did this NH itinerary: Drive up 93 from Logan into the White Mountains. There's a rest stop in about 2 hours where you can stretch your legs and admire the view. Then continue north, getting off onto Rt 3 to Rt 302 (East), where you'll stop at the historic Mount Washington Hotel for lunch or cocktail (mtwashington.com/hotelinformation/index.cfm), then on to the most romantic place I've ever stayed, the Notchland Inn (http://www.notchland.com/), where you spend two nights and explore this gorgeous area. (Perhaps you're a West Wing fan, and will get a kick out of seeing the Josiah Bartlett Elementary School!)

From there? You can explore the downeast coast of Maine and visit the Farnsworth Art Museum (American art - with a breathtaking collection of three generations of Wyeths), as well as gorgeous coastal communities, and on up to Acadia National Park. Or, you can spend the other 3 nights in Portland (2 hours from Notchland.) Obviously, I love this town, and love to recommend it because of the breadth of its culture and dining, as well as the historically significant sites around. See http://www.portlandmuseum.org/ for example.

Read through some of the postings on this site, that's bound to give you some ideas!

Maine
Level Contributor
756 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary road trip suggestions through New England

Oh I agree with "Maine-ah" the White Mountains of NH are great. That time of year it should still be fairly slow as the summer travel season is not in full swing. Things should be quite green and all flowers should be in bloom. The North Conway area is in wonderful mountainous setting and there are many great hotels there. I do not know much about architecture or art in the area but the scenery will be great. Rt302 is a great scenic drive through the mountains with a couple of roadside waterfalls and also the Kancamangus highway south of 302 is a designated scenic highway also with a couple waterfalls.

Acadia National park is also wonderful and again should not be too busy that time of year. There are some really nice hotels and great shops in Bar Harbor. The drive up Mt. Caddilac and the view from the top are great. A whale watching trip out of Bar Harbor is really nice.

It is quite a long drive from NH to Acadia though so you would have to spend half a day driving there but it is worth it.