We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Winter trip

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
10 posts
51 reviews
Save Topic
Winter trip

As lovers of anything absolutely freezing and snowy, we're planning a visit to US and Canada in Feb/March next year and would really like to spend a week in Maine. I know very little about the state, but we have young kids and love anything outdoorsy and would love suggestions about the best place to stay to cosy up and enjoy some days in and some days out and about. Any thoughts very much appreciated :)

Central Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
6,716 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Winter trip

Am sure you'll hear from several folks with ideas...but to get things started.... the first place that comes to my mind is the Western Maine Mountains village of Rangeley..... wintertime activities in or very near town would include downhill skiing; cross-country skiing; snowmobiling;, a chance to at least see folks ice fishing (fishing thru the ice) but don't know enough about state laws on fishing licenses for non-US residents to know whether or not you could by a license and fish yourself); and some nice winter scenery for sightseeing. It's a day-trip up there for us, so really don't feel comfortable making lodging recommendations....but you can Google "Rangeley Maine" for more info about the area and winter activities there.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
10 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Winter trip

Ooh that's brilliant. Thanks. Ice fishing sounds amazing and the kind of experience the kids would find amazing to watch. Thats such a great suggestion. Will put Rangeley on the list and hope others have some suggestions too. Thanks so much!

Southern Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
3,752 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Winter trip

If you scroll down this site, you'll see all of the relevant info about fishing licenses. Ironically, all of the major ice fishing derbies are being canceled or postponed this winter due to lack of ice. :

maine.gov/ifw/licenses_permits/fishing.htm

In addition to the Rangeley area, you could also check out Bethel and the Sunday River ski resort. Ski resorts have a variety of activites, including downhill and cross-country skiing, skating, and snowshoeing. If you stay on the mountain there are also accommodations with hot tubs and outdoor heated pools.

Ahmedabad, India
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Winter trip

Hii

I am single female traveller wanting to visit New England for about 5-6 days in march end. How should I plan it? Is it safe to travel alone? What places should I include beside Maine and New Hampshire ??Not interested in winter sports, so no skiing and other stuff for me. Any links that can help me decide on the accomodations? I am not a usa citizen and travelling to usa for a month and half so taking my own car is not an option. Please Help. Thanks a lot :)

Edited: 05 February 2012, 10:35
Central Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
6,716 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Winter trip

Itsnidhi --

Since your question is considerably different than the original question asked by SkyeGaff, you might want to start a separate place in the forum for it. That would get you more (and hopefully more useful) responses and save you from having to read through replies to SkyeGaff's question to get to answers for your question.

To do that, just go up the page to where SkyeGaff asked their original question.....and just above it you'll see "Ask a Question". Click on that and it will give you a chance to ask your question in a thread of its own.... You could even "copy" your question here and "paste" it there....

But however you do it,m I think you (and SkyeGaff) will both get better responses if you keep your questions separate.

6. Re: Winter trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 May 2013, 10:39