We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Near a beach and CHEAP!

Poconos
Level Contributor
202 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Near a beach and CHEAP!

We're considering heading to Maine for a week at the end of July. We were steered to some cabins in the Georgetown area, which are relatively cheap (~$750 a week), rustic and private -- things near and dear to our hearts. We are a family with two kids, 7 and 10, and we love peace and quiet, natural settings, water, etc. Hiking, photography, swimming, kayaking. The kids love arcade/carnival activities, but I don't consider that a necessity in planning a vacation -- we've stayed in places without such amenities and they don't miss it (if they don't see it)...

So are we being steered right? I see mention of great family destinations with great beaches, places like Pine Point/Ogunquit -- I am all for driving less (we're coming from eastern PA) but again, we need cheap and private and serene/rustic/natural setting -- a cabin on the beach would be great, but I understand that's probably not very likely. Failing that, a cabin on some water where a swimming beach is within a decent distance? Definitely not anything resembling Myrtle Beach or the Jersey Shore. Blech.

Thanks for any guidance you can provide - we've never been to your fair state but would love to fix that this summer!

Mentioned in this post
Maine
Maine
United States
Pine Point Beach
Pine Point Beach
63 Reviews
Scarborough, ME
Myrtle Beach
Myrtle Beach
Coastal South Carolina, SC
Jersey Shore
Jersey Shore
New Jersey
Central Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
6,922 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Near a beach and CHEAP!

Georgetown, Pine Point and Ogunquit are all sea-coastal destinations.... are you committed to finding a place on the ocean, or would an shoreside cabin on an inland lake be equally acceptable? The majority of the "swimming beaches" on the ocean are in southern Maine, where the concentration of summer visitors is greatest and prices tend to run higher than other parts of the coast. If you're willing to consider an inland lake, let us know and there are several potential areas which would give you the swimming, kayaking, hiking and photography you're looking for.....

And as an FYI, there are two Maine Agricultural/Summer Fairs in late July (in case the kids just have to have a fix -- one in Pittston (a small town southeast of Augusta) and a larger one in Bangor -- either could be within driving distance of an inland destination depending on where you end up....

Mentioned in this post
Pine Point Beach
Pine Point Beach
63 Reviews
Scarborough, ME
Maine
Maine
United States
Bangor
Bangor
Maine
Central Maine
Level Contributor
451 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Near a beach and CHEAP!

Can't speak to relative cost but Georgetown is a beautiful area that is tucked away but close enough to access Bath/Brunswick for dining out opportunities, plus Portland and other mid-coast destinations (Boothbay, Camden, Rockland) on day trips.

Georgetown is home to beautiful Reid State Park beach. You can acquire a pass for unlimited access during your stay.

Mentioned in this post
Brunswick
Brunswick
Mid Coast Maine, ME
Camden
Camden
Mid Coast Maine, ME
Rockland
Rockland
Mid Coast Maine, ME
Reid State Park
Reid State Park
236 Reviews
Georgetown, ME
Poconos
Level Contributor
202 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Near a beach and CHEAP!

Thanks for the replies. I'm willing to think about an inland lake...but the beach is what we're not used to, so that's got more appeal to us.

The fair info is fantastic - thank you! And thanks for the Georgetown recommendation; Reid State Park is near the cabins we were steered to.

Can we actually swim in the ocean in Maine?

Mentioned in this post
Reid State Park
Reid State Park
236 Reviews
Georgetown, ME
Maine
Maine
United States
Central Maine
Level Contributor
451 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Near a beach and CHEAP!

People do swim in ocean but please understand that average summer ocean temp will be high 50s-60ish.

Southern Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
4,037 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Near a beach and CHEAP!

Reid State Park has the open ocean (with nice big beach) and the lagoon, where the water temperature is much warmer. To combine privacy with rustic and the beach, Georgetown is a good area.

If your kids will miss the arcades, etc., you'll need to look around Old Orchard Beach, Ocean Park, Pine Point and/or Camp Ellis (all in the same general area, with OOB being the most congested).

Cheap and end-of-July do not necessarily go together. :-)

Mentioned in this post
Reid State Park
Reid State Park
236 Reviews
Georgetown, ME
Pine Point Beach
Pine Point Beach
63 Reviews
Scarborough, ME
Poconos
Level Contributor
202 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Near a beach and CHEAP!

Thanks. It's sounding like the original guidance to Georgetown was spot-on.

Central Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
6,922 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Near a beach and CHEAP!

From the subsequent discussion following your Original Post, I would agree that Georgetown will make a great destination for you..... have a great time!

8. Re: Near a beach and CHEAP!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 June 2013, 21:15