We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Indo-American woman moving to Bath from Atlanta, Georgia

Atlanta
8 posts
Save Topic
Indo-American woman moving to Bath from Atlanta, Georgia

I am considering moving to Bath, Maine from Atlanta, Georgia for a job. I am an Indo-American single woman (as in my ethnicity is Indian from India).

Could you please comment realistically on the following to help me decide on relocation?

- How friendly are the people in Bath? in Augusta? Please keep in mind that I am not caucasian. For example, if I got a flat tire, could I expect help from people seeing that I got a flat tire?

- What is the crime level? Is it safe to live alone? Or to have a flat tire on the street?

- Where to live/buy housing? I would earning around $60K/year before taxes.

- Is there a good night life/single life in Augusta/Bath areas? I am in late 20s. Most people at my work are in their 50s.

Bar Harbor, Maine
Destination Expert
for Bar Harbor, Acadia National Park
Level Contributor
3,867 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Indo-American woman moving to Bath from Atlanta, Georgia

I do not live in the Bath area so I cannot speak with authority. However, as one who is now a ten-year resident of Maine (and a frequent visitor before that) let me share my observations.

Relative to Georgia and Atlanta especially, I think you would find the people friendly. They will not be as outgoing and effusive, perhaps, but more genuine in how they treat you. Especially, they are willing to help when you have a problem or question.

We have crime in Maine and it is of the usual variety---domestic quarrels, drugs, robberies---but I think you would find that the frequency is significantly less than what you have seen/read about in Atlanta. Many of the Somali families that moved to the Lewiston area from places like Atlanta did so in order to escape the violence there.

This is not to say that you won't face some intolerance here---intolerance is world-wide. If it happens, it will be at a much lower level, and much more infrequent that you would encounter in many other parts of this nation.

I'll pass on real estate---I have no idea what houses go for in that area.

Social opportunities. Again, I am no authority on Bath. However, in addition to Bath, you are not far from Portland, our largest city, and Brunswick, home of Bowdoin College. As I think about Maine, having a total population probably only a little greater (if that) than metropolitan Atlanta, it's hard to talk about metropolitan areas here---but the area you are considering, when you include Portland, is as metropolitan as you will find in the state.

I think that, if you decide to relocate here, you will enjoy it.

scituate, ma
Level Contributor
421 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Indo-American woman moving to Bath from Atlanta, Georgia

Maine has a very low crime rate, and you will find that the people are very friendly -genuinely good hearted. It sometimes takes a little longer to get to know us, but folks here are loyal and helpful.

You would be very safe, even with a flat tire. Although I would recommend that if you are physically able, you should learn how to change a tire - very important skill for a woman alone. I can still change my own tires and I am an old lady with limited mobility (see us old yankees are very independnet!)

Bath is a very nice area - hopefully you'll be hearing from Michele S on this forum, she always has a lot to offer on relocating to this area.

I would look at the Brunswick area. It is a college town, and pretty lively. Good shops, interesting reaturants, etc.

Maine
Level Contributor
83 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Indo-American woman moving to Bath from Atlanta, Georgia

The Bath area is fairly safe- Brunswick is a beautiful town and decent due to Bowdin College. Night life in Bath Brunswick is more tailored for the college crowd, but there are some nice restaurants/bars downtown. Portland is not too far- where you will find more nite life and is also more cultural, professional and ethnically diverse.

If you're interested in specific info on relocating, I am a Maine realtor and would be happy to help out.

Best of luck- Cindy

Maine
Level Contributor
409 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Indo-American woman moving to Bath from Atlanta, Georgia

Curious Girl:

My husband and I live just across the bridge from Bath. I grew up in a town about 30 miles from Bath, but moved to Chicago to go to college, where I met my husband. He and I lived for many years in Chicago and San Francisco, and moved to Maine three years ago. We are thrilled with Bath.

People in this area are friendly and helpful. As another poster said, they are not effusive, but they are sincere and nice. Of course, there are always some nasty people, but not many. The Bath/Brunswick area is quite diverse, compared to many parts of Maine, largely because of Bowdoin College and the Naval Air Station. You will not be treated as an oddity and you could expect to receive help from strangers as readily as if you were caucasian. It would be safe to live alone.

Bath is a beautiful town with an old-fashioned main street (Front Street), many locally owned business and a lot of community involvement. For someone your age, you would likely find Brunswick more congenial socially. Because Bowdoin College is there, it has many restaurants, bars, coffee houses and other businesses that cater to younger people. It has two Indian restaurants, though I couldn't vouch for their authenticity.

Augusta is not at all a bad place, but I would not choose to live there if I were your age. Most people who work in town commute there from other towns. It's not nearly as interesting socially as the Bath/Brunswick area would be.

Are you considering working in Augusta? It's not unusual for people to live in Bath and Brunswick and to commute to Augusta.

You shouldn't have much trouble finding affordable housing to buy at your earning level. The thing to factor in is that heat is extremely expensive here.

To get a little better feel for the Bath/Brunswick area, you could read the local paper, which is available online at www.timesrecord.com

I hope you decide to become a Mainer!

Brunswick, Maine
Level Contributor
2,492 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Indo-American woman moving to Bath from Atlanta, Georgia

Hi. I'm a Southern transplant, born in Georgia, lived in Maine for over ten years, moved to Brunswick in 2004. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. I predict the biggest issues you'll face are

1. The northern climate and

2. Small time living vs. having anything and everything at your fingerips in greater Atlanta.

About housing, I suggest you look through the archives to find these recent threads:

"A possible move to Portland"

"Moving to Portland"

"Harpswell & Freeport"

"relocating to Maine"

Maine is incredibly safe. I don't think you'll have any worries.

About real estate, I'd suggest you look at Brunswick, too, for the reasons others have mentioned, but also because Bath has a whole lot of big old houses that might be too large for a single woman. When I bought my house last spring (in Brunswick), I also shopped the Bath market, but it seemed like every house I looked at in Bath was so much larger than I needed. Brunswick might have a better range. In fact, there is a very cute house for sale on my street right now that would be perfect for a single professional!

If you are going to work in Augusta (is that why you mention it?) you'd be just as convenient in Brunswick as you can zip up I-95 from the Topsham exit..

There are two Indian restaurants in downtown Brunswick. I don't think there are any in Bath, but I am the wrong person to ask because I don't like curry. Sorry.

Good luck!

Brunswick, Maine
Level Contributor
2,492 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Indo-American woman moving to Bath from Atlanta, Georgia

If I can add a note about diversity: Maine is predominantly caucasian with only about 3-4% diversity. That diversity is concentrated in college towns (like Brunswick) and in Portland.

If having a vibrant Indo-American community in which you can take part is important to you, if you want to see other faces like your own regularly, then you might want to live in Portland or Brunswick or at least make connections with that community in Portland.

That being said, folks in Northern New England (Maine, New Hamsphire, Vermont) pride themselves in being incredibly tolerant. I don't think anyone will discriminate against you--or not stop and help you with a tire just because you don't have blond hair and blue eyes.

Note that Maine is very rural, so you'll want to learn how to change that tire simply because there are lots of backroads and you might be out in the middle of nowhere all by yourself! I have AAA, but have changed a couple of tires myself when AAA took too danged long to get there!

Atlanta
8 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Indo-American woman moving to Bath from Atlanta, Georgia

Thank you all for the responses and comments!!

I would actually be working in the Bath area. I mentioned Augusta mostly because of the proximity.

Maine
Level Contributor
83 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Indo-American woman moving to Bath from Atlanta, Georgia

Brunswick is a nice town- my brother in law lived in a nice neighborhood of small ranches and capes just outside of the athletic fields area of Bowdoin College-