We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

road trip to see lighthouses

Anniston, Alabama
Level Contributor
8 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
road trip to see lighthouses

need suggestions for things to see and do - especially small towns and lighthouses going up the Maine coast. Leaving Portland, MA and driving up toward Calais(not sure of spelling?) near the Canadian border in July.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
173 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: road trip to see lighthouses

I would head to Lubec to see East Quoddy Lighthouse. Nice little town with some great hiking and EQL is at the eastern most point of the US.

If you have a passport, head over to Campobello Island in Canada to West Quoddy Lighthouse. One of the most beautiful lighthouse settings in the world. (There is only 1 bridge to Campobello Isalnd and you have to go through Lubec.)

Go at low tide so you can walk over to it. If you go at high tide, you can only see it from the shore. (or possibly get stranded)

Lubec has some nice places to stay but I would recommend The Betsy Ross House B&B. Quiet location with some small shops near it. The owners were great when I was there and they had free wine and beer for all who stayed. plus they let us set up our grill outside to make dinner. It's right around the corner from the bridge to CI as well.

My wife and I found some interesting places to stop in Maine by using http://www.roadsideamerica.com to plan our route.

Have fun!

Boothbay Harbor...
Level Contributor
533 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: road trip to see lighthouses

The Marshall Point lighthouse is pretty neat, as are the towns of Port Clyde and Tenants Harbor.

In Boothbay Harbor, we have the Burnt Island Light. You have to take a boat to get out to it, but they have a living history tour and other stuff going on out there that make it worthwhile.

Portland Head Light, and Two-Lights in Cape Elizabeth, shouldn't be missed.

The Knubble Light in Cape Neddick -- the keeper has a little cable car to get back and forth from the mainlaind (Cape Neddick) to the island (the Knubble) that the lighthouse is on.

Pemaquid would be another good one to take in, and you've got several quaint towns on that peninsula as well.

Edited: 31 May 2012, 03:29
Central Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
6,672 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: road trip to see lighthouses

Dmoz -- Think you need to check your compass....

West Quoddy Head is in Lubec, Maine.... East Quoddy Head is in Canada....

Might make a difference if K3 is asking locals for driving directions....

There's also an interesting lighthouse in Rockland, Maine..... it's on the end of a mile-long breakwater than shelters Rockland Harbor and you can walk/hike/scramble over the huge boulders that make up the breakwater to walk out to the lighthouse.....

And if you're visiting Bar Harbor/Acadia National Park, Bass Harbor Light is nearby -- a little hard to find, but kind of cute once you get there....

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
173 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: road trip to see lighthouses

Sorry Mainer - was typing fast and got them switched.

5. Re: road trip to see lighthouses

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 June 2013, 14:42