We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Black Flies in June?

Tampa
2 posts
Save Topic
Black Flies in June?

My husband & I are planning a trip to Maine for the first weekend in June. A friend who grew up in Maine recommended not going in June because there are black flies everywhere. She said that either May or July are better choices. Is this true?

Brunswick, Maine
Level Contributor
2,492 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Black Flies in June?

Black flies are difficult to predict. It all depends on how wet the weather has been and where you are going. For more info, go poke around at www.mainenature.org/blackfly/bfindex.html

Shaftsbury, Vermont
Level Contributor
740 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Black Flies in June?

She might be right about July, but not May. How many there are and when they are around depend on the hatch. If we have a warm early Spring than they will be out in May, if its a late Spring than they will run well into June.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
4,109 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Black Flies in June?

What part of Maine are you going to? I was there last June and not a fly or mosquito in sight, guess we got lucky. Eat plenty of garlic and wear a ball cap sprayed with deet. Also, wash all your clothes before you go using BOUNCE.......that's what we did last year after reading tips and maybe that's why we weren't bothered....who knows?

Tampa
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Black Flies in June?

Thank you for your advice. I will try the Bounce trick. We haven't made definite plans as to which part. We are flying into Manchester, NH and will be driving from there. Is there a particular part you would recommend?