We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best ways to travel from Maine to Vermont

Toronto, Canada
5 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Best ways to travel from Maine to Vermont

Hello,

I will be travelling to Vermont from Maine in mid-August and am looking for the cheapest/easiest ways to get from either Bangor or Bar Harbour Maine to Burlington Vermont (I'm actually headed to Ripton but figure Burlington is easiest.) Thanks for any help!

Central Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
6,667 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best ways to travel from Maine to Vermont

Driving, flying, bus ?? Driving will be easiest in terms of being able to set your own schedule,

Bus would require your taking a bus to Boston and transferring there to a separate bus to Montpelier.

Plane from Bangor would require a flight to another airport (one connection I;m aware of is by way of Washington DC) and then a second flight to Montpelier.

Not sure which would be less expensive because I don't know how you value your time.... doubt that bus or air would reallly save you a lot of time over driving once you factor in waiting times at terminals, airport security etc...

For exact schedule fares and options, I'd suggest you check the websites for Greyhound Bus Lines, and the Bangor or Montpelier Airports..... or the Flight section here on Trip Advisor.

Boothbay Harbor...
Level Contributor
533 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Best ways to travel from Maine to Vermont

Driving routes -- define "best way" : most scenic, shortest, fastest, least fuel consumption, avoiding tolls, backroads, highway, or other?

US Route 2 is probably the most scenic and shortest route, despite all the twists and turns and small towns (288 miles, 5:48). Parts of it just seem take forever, though. Depending on how you drive (and traffic conditions), it is possible that I-95 south to Hampton, then NH101 west to Manchester, I-93 north to Concord,then I-89 north to Burlington could potentially be faster. It's 100 miles longer, and google maps says 35 minutes longer, but if you're a lead foot or just prefer interstate, it could be a wash time-wise; of course there are a lot more tolls, too.

3. Re: Best ways to travel from Maine to Vermont

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2013, 05:41