We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Harrison

glasgow, scotland
6 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Harrison

In midJuly I am flying to Maine, for the first time, to pick up my 10 year old daughter at Fernwood Cove sleep away camp in Harrison. I'll need to stay over two nights, but won't be spending any real time sightseeing or at my accomodations, since I'll be either at the camp or traveling to or from it. The only places I see to stay are inns that are, for my limited purposes, expensive. It was suggested that I stay in Lewiston or Auburn, which appear to have cheaper accomodations.

Can anyone give me guidance as to reasonable places to hang my hat relatively near Harrison ? what are the towns of Lewiston and Auburn like and how far away from Harrison are they ?

Many thanks

Maine
Level Contributor
830 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Harrison

Inns are the only type of accommodation you'll find near Harrison. The Bridgton area is lovely and has several B&B's, but I gather you're looking for an inexpensive motel-type property? You'll need to go closer to Lewiston/Auburn or Portland for that. Portland is around an hour depending on traffic; L/A might be a little closer, though I haven't driven that route.

Maine
Level Contributor
756 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Harrison

The Bridgton area has a few lodging choices, check out www.maineinns.com but they are smaller non chain "inns" but most are decent.

That is the closest option for you.

You then have three other options that are about equal travel distance, just under an hour drive. 1) You could stay in Lewiston Auburn area but there are not much for lodging choices there either, there are several non chain hotels but most are dives and the city as a whole is quite economically depressed. 2) You could stay in the Portland area or more specifically in Westbrook on Rt302/Riverside St where there are several hotel choices. This is also just under an hour drive to Harrison. 3)The third option is to stay in North Conway, NH just over the Maine border also about an hours drive. I absolutely love that town and there are several hotel, motel options there although many are quite prices. It is a beautiful setting in the mountains and offers alot of shopping and restaraunts nearby.

Im sure there are also other B&B's and Inn type accomodations in nearby towns that you can find on the above mentioned web site.

Hope that helps.

Bradley, Maine
Level Contributor
685 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Harrison

Hey there busy Dad.

If it were me, I'd not bother driving to Lewiston/Auburn. It'd be like making a triangle if your flying into Portland. (if you are flying into bangor... different story). ONly a triangle would be a much easier drive I think... back roads, hills etc. (beautiful drive though!!)

Brigeton and Harrison , Naples, Long Lake would all be areas to google looking for a place to stay. Also try Crystal Lake which I think is where "Fernwood " is???? Or relatively close by.

Brunswick, Maine
Level Contributor
2,492 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Harrison

Most of the towns in that area are very small, with tiny family run motels, many of which are very clean and friendly. I bet the folks at the camp could suggest something nearby that isn't too pricey. There must be something affordable in the vicinity.

The state tourism web site, visitMaine.com lists two motels in Norway. Maybe one of them would work?

The Poland Springs Inns, see http://www.polandspringinns.com/ brag that they have the lowest rates around.

Look also at this list: www.visitmaine.net/LakesMtnslodging.htm