We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New Harbor

harrisonburg, va
Level Contributor
225 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
New Harbor

Two women flying into Portland and thinking about staying three nights in New Harbor. I see what there is to do there, but where to explore for a day between Portland and New Harbor or once settled in New Harbor, where to go.

Thanks.

Mid Coast Maine...
Level Contributor
778 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New Harbor

When are you coming and what sorts of things do you like to do?

harrisonburg, va
Level Contributor
225 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: New Harbor

End of July-

Theater, restaurants, shopping, antiques

Central Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
6,695 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: New Harbor

New Harbor is a great little coastal town ... but because it's located fairly well down a coastaal peninsula, you're going to be doing a bit of diriving to get to locations not on the same peninsula.... For example, in round numbers, you're going to be an hour from Boothbay Harbor, an hour from Rockland, or an hour from Brunswick -- all great possible destinations for restaurants.... Not sure when you're coming, but Brunswick is home to the Maine State Music Theatre -- some excellent live theater (Google Maine State Music Theater to check their 2012 schedule). For some ideas about antiques, I'd check the Maine Antique Dealers Assn website -- it lets you find dealers by location, by type of antique, or by name.... Depending on the kind of shopping you''re looking for (not a lot of high-end, upscale options in that part of Maine), you might enjoy the shops in Boothbay Harbor or Rockland. But if I had a chance to spend three nights in New Harbor, I'd just stay but and enjoy the local, coastal peace and quiet.

Mid Coast Maine...
Level Contributor
778 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: New Harbor

Damariscotta is the town at the top of the Pemaquid peninsula. Quaint Main Street with some fun and unique shops, including the original Reny's, a Maine icon. While there aren't any antique stores "in town", there are lots of shops scattered around the area, many of them located on Route 130, which brings you down to New Harbor.

While you can also explore Boothbay Harbor, Rockland and Brunswick, if you choose not to leave the peninsula, there are many dining options. Some of my favorites are Coveside (in South Bristol), Muscongus Bay Lobster Company and Anchor Inn (in Round Pond), Shaw's (in New Harbor), King Eider's and Damariscotta River Grill (in Damariscotta) and Newcastle Publik House (in New Castle).

Here's a link to the Damariscotta Region Chamber of Commerce website. It should provide you with all the information you need. http://www.damariscottaregion.com/index.html

The Great State of...
Level Contributor
404 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: New Harbor

Take a Hardy Boat cruise out to Monhegan one day.

Central Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
6,695 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: New Harbor

Sailorgirl -- so glad you chimed in on this one...

Gcollins -- would give some serious consideration to Sailorgirls recommendation -- she lives on the same peninsula as New Harbor, so knows that area well... Should be a great trip....

The Great State of...
Level Contributor
404 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: New Harbor

Midcoast Maine, roughly Brunswick to Camden, is a series of peninsulas, each very beautiful. It's really hard to pick one as prettier than the rest, but if someone put a gun to my head, I'd pick the Pemaquid Peninsula (where New Harbor is) as the very best. I think if you spent your time there (and maybe with a cruise to Monhegan one day) you'd have a fabulous vacation. So, I wouldn't encourage you to range farther unless you truly feel this might be your only trip to Maine and you feel compelled to pack as many towns into your three days as you can.

For your day between Portland and New Harbor, spend a morning in Portland (the Portland Head Light if you like lighthouses, the Old Port if you want funky shopping) and then proceed up Route 1, stopping at what interests you. If you've never been to Freeport, at the very least drive down the Main Street and stop in the LLBean flagship store. Bath, Brunswick and Wiscasset are other pretty little towns along Route 1 that might catch your interest. You might be happy just to ride down the main streets. Or, you might see something that catches your eye and makes you want to stop. Wiscasset is known for its lovely architecture and antique shops.

8. Re: New Harbor

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 July 2013, 10:17