We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Antiquing in Maine near Portland

daisytown
Level Contributor
589 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Antiquing in Maine near Portland

We will be in Portland for a week in September. Can anyone give me any information on a good area to visit for antiquing.

Thanks Nancy

Central Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
6,672 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Antiquing in Maine near Portland

Not really into antiquing myself, but since no one else has responded, will do what I can to help..... Some antique shops in Maine are "generalists", others seem to specialize....

You might Google the Maine Antiques Dealers Association -- if I recall correctly, their website lists both locations and specialties... About an hour north of Portland, immediately south of Augusta, is the small city of Hallowell, which once billed itself as "the antiques capital of Maine" - not as many antiques shops there now as there used to be, but still see signs for some as I drive their main street, called "Water Street" -- also is US Rt 201.

Just east of Augusta, maybe ten miles, is the small village of Cooper's Mills, where, on ME Rt 17, you'll find Elmer's Barn -- a combination of antiques, trash and treasures....

Only other place that comes to mind right now would be quite a haul from Portland -- it's on Rt 3 in Ellsworth and is called The Chicken Barn -- a three-story barn that used to be a poultry farm, now converted to antques, old books and magazines and all sorts of other stuff.

Think you can Google both Elmer's and Chicken Barn for more info that might help you decide whether or not it's worth the drive from Portland.

Southern Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
3,638 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Antiquing in Maine near Portland

Route One on the stretch between Kennebunk and Wells has several antiques shops and group markets.

There are two places in Oxford on Route 26.

Wiscasset has many antiques shops on Main Street and the side streets.

3. Re: Antiquing in Maine near Portland

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 July 2013, 07:16