We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

monhegan for a week

nepa
Level Contributor
24 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
monhegan for a week

Has anyone ever spent a week on the island? We are seeking quiet, solitude and quaint charm, some hiking and beautiful views. But I am wondering if a week is too much? Any thoughts would be appreciated. :)

Bar Harbor, Maine
Destination Expert
for Bar Harbor, Acadia National Park
Level Contributor
3,839 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: monhegan for a week

I don't know how much you know about Monhegan, but this ought to start the discussion. Electric power is limited; several of the rental cottages have none; some have limited solar power. The mosquitoes can be devilish---especially in July and August.

Monhegan is a self-contined island; you are pretty much expected to bring what you need with you and take everything back with you when you leave. There are a couple of stores that do a good job of providing fruits and vegetables and enough other things to ward off starvation (and thirst)as well as newspapers.

There are a lot of interesting hikes (bring plenty of insect repellent). The sunsets are exceptional and the morning fogs lend a different air to the place. One of the ferries (the mid-day one) offers a circumnavigation of the island when conditions permit. And if you really are seeking quiet and calm, you will enjoy Monhegan.

We haven't spent a week, but three days have gone by easily. We have always stayed at the Island Inn, which I recommend.

Bar Harbor, Maine
Level Contributor
5,459 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: monhegan for a week

I'd like to spend the rest of my life on Monhegan. I don't think a week would be too much. You will definitely get quiet and solitude. You can spend your nights doing nothing but watch the light slowly spin from the lighthouse on the hill in the middle of the island. You can spend your days sneaking up on the artists who have their easels up in the most unlikely places.

What time of year are you thinking of going? They definitely have mosquitos and black flies in the early summer.

Brunswick, Maine
Level Contributor
2,492 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: monhegan for a week

I spent four days there in September and could have stayed longer. I stayed at the Monhegan House. One day it was cold and foggy, and I was content to sit by the fireplace all day and read a book. Another day I think I just poked around all day with my camera. Another day I hiked with a friend.

Depending on when you go and where you stay, Monhegan can actually get pretty hectic during the day. The boats will bring in daytripers and they will clog the town area and the most popular paths. It's really nice in town when the last boat pulls out and you get a feeling of having the island to yourself.

Sunsets can be pretty awesome.

Bar Harbor, Maine
Destination Expert
for Bar Harbor, Acadia National Park
Level Contributor
3,839 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: monhegan for a week

If you would like a preview of Monhegan, go to <www.tinyurl.com/r2o7> and select any of the Monhegan albums.

nepa
Level Contributor
24 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: monhegan for a week

Thanks for the replies. And the pics. It sounds like just what we're looking for. I was somewhat aware about the electric power. We are thinking of going through Shining Sails in September if they have any cottages available. Hopefully one with a fireplace!

Southern Maine
Level Contributor
643 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: monhegan for a week

We went for three days one late August and loved it. You need to entertain yourself completely. Bring books, your own wine, games, nothing that requires electricity. No night life. The bug were not a problem, but I could see where they would be.

The water can also be rationed. The Monhegan Inn had no hot water for the showers during the afternoon we were there. Also, the bathrooms were shared dormitory style.