We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

construction

Cincinnati, Oh
Level Contributor
462 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
construction

Hi to all. Last summer I know one of the BIG topics was the all the road construction between Ellsworth and MDI. I was there in mid August and they were working hard!!! Is this finished or do I need to add some driving time. I will be there lots earlier than last year and traffic won't be as heavy but is there a heads up on this?? Thanks.

Brunswick, Maine
Level Contributor
2,492 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: construction

Between Ellsworth & MDI or between Bangor & Ellsworth?

Between Bangor and Ellsworth: I just went thru that section of Route 1A last week and it's mostly finished, and it's nice having the extra passing lanes.

The bad news is that another phase of construction on Route 1A will be starting soon, nearer to the Dedham School.

Betweem Stockton Springs and Bucksport, the new bridge is coming right along and it's impressive to see. Might be a major bottleneck come summer, but at least it will be an awe-inspiring one.

Between Ellsworth & MDI: you can avoid all the traffic on High Street by going down beside the Union River and cutting across Goose Cove Road. Look at Mapquest. (from downtown Ellsworth>Water Street>Bayside>Goose Cove>Route 230>Bar Harbor Road.

Maine
Level Contributor
756 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: construction

I was just through there two days ago (RT1A between Ellsworth and Bangor) and there were signs saying that road work was to begin on RT1A in Dedham on the 17th (April 17th) and to expect long delays. I do not know how long this project is expected to last but there will likely be some type of work on RT1A for the rest of the summer. As mentioned there is still work on the new Hancock-Waldo bridge but at this point the traffic situation is not that bad there but will probably get worse as the summer traffic arrives. I travel that route quite often and if I can find out the plan for summer work I will update.

Cincinnati, Oh
Level Contributor
462 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: construction

Thanks!! I will be flying into Bangor (my favorite airport!!) but because of Comair, my usual 11:00 a.m flight arrival was one that got the axe, so I won't get in til after 5p.m. I didn't what to take the chance of maybe driving after dark so I'm staying at the airport and leaving for MDI the next a.m. to stay in Bar Harbor before going to Swan's Island. The older we get the harder it is to see at night!!! I will post again the middle of May before I leave for your updates. Last year I stopped at my AAA for construction info and of course they knew nothing!! I've tried mapquest a few times, one time they couldn't even get me to an address in downtown Cincinnati. I do have my Maine maps and my Gazetteer, I'll have to look for Goose Cove Rd.

Brunswick, Maine
Level Contributor
2,492 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: construction

Do you remember a restaurant on 1A, right as you are coming into Ellsworth called The Fork in the Road"? With a huge (5-6') gray fork out by the road? Right near the Mill Mall and the new YMCA?

I don't think the restaurant is still there, I think some other business has taken the spot over, but if you recall that spot, that's where you want to leave Route 1A. At the fork, while the rest of the traffic is bearing left to go to MDI, you want to bear right and go thru downtown Ellsworth right by the river.

Go that way and avoid all that High Street mess, and any traffic that's backed up at the intersection of 1A and 1/3.

Bar Harbor, Maine
Destination Expert
for Bar Harbor, Acadia National Park
Level Contributor
3,886 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: construction

Others have pretty much covered the subject. The Maine Dept. of Transportation has a web page that is current with respect to road conditions, roadwork, etc., by area of the state. There is a map display and also a text-only option that gives details (duration of the project, time of day, type of activity).

The url is:

<http://67.106.3.239/>

I have no idea why the url I use is digital, but it works.

Cincinnati, Oh
Level Contributor
462 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: construction

CW, MicheleS, & countymounty, thanks for the info. When I go to Swan's I always need to stop at Hannafords & Super Walmart to stock up on groceries, etc. If memory(???) serves me right I think these were both around Brewer, is this right?? I know I didn't like the Walmart in Ellsworth. Will I still be able to take Goose cove road if needed?? I wish I could borrow my sisters GPS!!! I won't have that until the second week when I drive back to Bangor to pick her up, then back to Swan's.

CW, I want to the url and put it in my favorites so I can check things out. I noticed that there is also roadwork going rt1 to Machias, which is week 3, after going BACK to Bangor to pick up my brother-in-law!!

Oh well, that's what warm weather is for-roadwork!!! I can't hardly wait til I get back to Maine, regardless of a few delays!!!

Bar Harbor, Maine
Destination Expert
for Bar Harbor, Acadia National Park
Level Contributor
3,886 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: construction

traveltoo:

"... When I go to Swan's I always need to stop at Hannafords & Super Walmart to stock up on groceries, etc. If memory(???) serves me right I think these were both around Brewer, is this right?? I know I didn't like the Walmart in Ellsworth. Will I still be able to take Goose cove road if needed?"

There is a large Hannaford's in Ellsworth---on the main route through the city. There also is a Shaw's on the same route. The Super Walmart is in Brewer---fairly close to I-395 (the spur from I-95 to 1A) There also is a Hannaford's fairly close to the Super W, but I don't remember exactly where---I think that it's a bit farther north, i.e., back toward Bangor.

Goose Cove Road is a shortcut between two legs of State Rt. 230. You can pick up 230 either by going into the old part of Ellsworth via 1 and 3 west, or by staying on 3 toward Bar Harbor and taking a right on Beechland Rd. at the second traffic light after you climb the hill out of Ellsworth. (You also can access it by taking a right on Foster, which is at the edge of the Shaw's parking lot, but that's a bit trickier to see.)

Brunswick, Maine
Level Contributor
2,492 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: construction

If you are coming from the airport on 395, that Hannaford is off the second Brewer exit (Take Parkway South to Wilson st) off of 395. Exit the interstate and take a right (going back across the interstate) and you'll actually drive up on the backside of the Hannaford.

The shopping center the Hannaford is in fronts on Wilson Street, and the Super Walmart is also on Wilson, just a mile or so down Wilson (going toward Bar Harbor). Wilson St. will hit 395/Route 1A just past the Super Walmart, so if you want to buy all your stuff in Brewer and avoid High Street in Ellsworth, you can do so right there.

You'll love the "back" way in Ellsworth.

When you get to Swans, tell Gumma "Miz Kodak" says "hi."

Brunswick, Maine
Level Contributor
2,492 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: construction

Sorry, I meant the back way to MDI.

Cincinnati, Oh
Level Contributor
462 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: construction

MicheleS, the lady I rent from lives on Swan's May til begining of Nov., she has lived there for 30+ years and knows eveyone I think!! She has introduced me to several people thru the years but mostly the ones who live on Red Point Rd. where I stay. Last year she took me to places on the island I hadn't been yet, one which was the Rockefeller land. He lets people use most of it for hiking and there is a small beach you can go for a pinic or sunning, swimming if you dare!!! He has restored an old cemetary on the land that is very peaceful and serene.

I will ask her if she knows "Gumma" and if she knows who I mean I will make it a point to find her and tell her Miz Kodak says "hi".