We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One week in October

Orlando
Level Contributor
147 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
One week in October

My wife and I started planning a trip to New England last May, but shortly after we started planning I was diagnosed with Coronary Heart Disease and had quadruple by-pass surgery! The surgery was successful and my recovery has gone extremely well.

Hafl way through my recovery I didn't think we would be able to take our Maine trip in October, but now I am feeling very good and think we will make the trip after all. We only have 7 days to get away and wanted to get advice on our itinerary. My wife and I really want to see fall colors and we also want to see the coast. So here is my plan:

10/3 Fly to Portland. Pick up rental car and drive to Jackson, NH. - sightseeing

10/4 Jackson, NH - Sight seeing

10/5 Drive to Bar Harbor after breakfast

10/6 Bar Harbor - Acadia National Park

10/7 Bar Harbor - Acadia National Park

10/8 Camden - sightseeing

10/9 Drive to Portland for late afternoon flight home.

Our primary goal for the trip are to see fall colors, take leisurely hikes and walks, enjoy good food and definitely eat Lobster (even though it isn't heart healthy)! I am an avid amateur photographer and want to find great photo opportunities.

Are we trying to do too much in a week? Should we only travel to the coast or to the mountains and come back another time to do the other? If we do both, would it be better to cut out Camden and stay three days in Jackson and three days in Bar Harbor?

As of today, there are still are rooms in at B&B;s in Jackson, Bar Harbor and Camden, but I know I need to make the reservations very quickly.

Advice and Suggestions are welcome!

Thanks,

Larry

Bar Harbor, Maine
Level Contributor
6,357 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: One week in October

Congratulations on your quick recovery from major heart surgery. I don't think you are trying to do too much. I would split it up with two nights in Jackson, three nights in Acadia, and one night in Camden. That's based on how much there is to do and see in the three places and the fact that the trip from Jackson to Bar Harbor will probably eat up most of the day. And that's exactly what you have. Good job.

Orlando
Level Contributor
147 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: One week in October

Thanks. Are there any interesting stops between Jackson and Bar Harbor we should see or should we drive straight to Bar Harbor with no stops. Is there a good restaurant we would want to stop for lunch?

Thanks,

Larry

Bar Harbor, Maine
Level Contributor
6,357 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: One week in October

Mainer on the go better answer this one. There are a number of different routes you can choose and I'm not really familiar with any good sites or good lunch places.

Central Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
6,864 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: One week in October

Larry -- would make some modifications to the earlier route suggestions I gave you now that you've changed your itinerary a bit... Some of this parallels my earlier suggestions (in the NH forum)...but there are also some changes here....

When you're ready to leave Jackson (or North Conway if that's where you end up), take NH Rt 16 north through the White Mountains National Forest to Gorham, NH. Pick up US Rt 2 there and take it east along the Androscoggin River valley (and more of the National Forest) to Bethel, ME, where you'll pick up ME Rt 26 south to ME Rt 117 East in South Paris, ME (you'll come into the town square in South Paris and a stop sign where Rt 26 goes sharp right; you want to go straight ahead, across the square, to get onto Rt 117 toward Buckfield and Turner ME). Follow Rt 117 through the Maine countryside, including up, over and down the other side of Streaked Mountain, to Rt 133 just outside of Wayne ME. Take Rt 133 south to US Rt 202 in Winthrop, then US 202 east toward Augusta. In Augusta, take I-95 North for just a couple of miles to Exit 113 for Rt 3 toward Belfast. Follow Rt 3 to Belfast, where Rt 3 joins US Rt 1 north and they run together to Ellsworth ME. In Ellsworth, the two routes split and you want to follow Rt 3 to Bar Harbor. Plan on between five and five-and-a-half hours driving time, not counting stops....

Along the way, watch for: the white birch trees along US Rt 2 between Gorham NH and Gilead ME -- just beautiful, especially in foliage season; views of roadside ponds on ME Rt 26 and 117 - even prettier than usual in foliage season; a roadside turnout on Rt 26 just south of the village of Greenwood with nice views across the ponds on either side of the road; the roadside turnout on Rt 219 beyond a sharp right-hand turn at the end of a bridge a few miles after you leave Rt 117 -- turnout is on your right and can give nice views of the river; on Rt 133 in Wayne, watch for Tubby's Ice Cream on your right -- the narrow road between it and the Post Office will take you to the town mill pond, a great photo op if foliate is good; roadside views along Rt 3 between Augusta and Belfast; a scenic turnout on Rt 1 in Stockton Springs just south of the Penobscot Narrows Bridge (you'll see the bridge towers before you get to the turnout); and the Penobscot Narrows Bridge Observatory just off Rt 1 just before you get onto the bridge (turn left at the traffic light at the end of the bridge).... nice views from an observation deck built into the top of one of the bridge towers, including views of the mountains of Acadia National Park on the eastern horizon.

Don't have a lot of meal suggestions along your route -- too close for home for us to stop to eat very often along the way... If you get a late start out of Jackson, or make a lot of morning stops, I'm told there are a couple of good spots in Bethel but can't personally vouch for them (town is small so you could look around without fear of getting lost). After that, your next best bet will probably be somewhere in Augusta, and, after that Belfast.... lots of rural countryside on your route today so it can be a ways between restaurants....

5. Re: One week in October

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 August 2013, 07:16