We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

winter photography

Topeka, Kansas
2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
winter photography

Hi. I am a photographer from Kansas wanting to spend a month in Maine during the winter to photograph life there in the "off season". I'm looking to do minimalistic black and whites and portray the beauty of the rocky coast in winter. I have found a couple of places through friends that i might stay and wondered which of these locations might work best. One is in Southwest Harbor near Bar Harbor and the other is Westport Island near Boothbay Harbor.

Any suggestions or comments on these locations? Thanks. I've only been to Maine in the fall and only made it up to the Kennebunkport area. Thanks.

Bar Harbor, Maine
Level Contributor
6,058 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: winter photography

I would chose the place in Southwest Harbor because you will have all of Acadia National Park to photograph. Even in the dead of winter, the Park keeps a road plowed so that one can drive to Sand Beach and Thunder Hole Another access is road will get you into the Park as far as Jordan Pond. You can also hike into the Park at many spots, including up to the top of Cadillac Mountain where the view can be forever on a crisp, sunny, winter day.

Central Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
6,764 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: winter photography

Sone good photo ops at both destinations..... but access to various potential locations will be better in the Bar Harbor/Acadia National Park/Southwest Harbor area.... I'd go there...

Topeka, Kansas
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: winter photography

Thanks so much. Appreciate your feedback

4. Re: winter photography

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 September 2013, 10:16