We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best region/area for viewing lighthouse & lobster

Chattanooga...
Level Contributor
298 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Best region/area for viewing lighthouse & lobster

I'm in the early stages of planning a July 2013 trip to Maine for my husband & I. We want to see as many lighhouses as possible (tour & take pictures). We also want to go out on a lobster boat if possible and of course, eat good lobster. The Maine blueberries would be an added bonus as well.

Is July a good season? I've read and take it there are a lot of lighthouses within the state. is there one area though where the most are located?

I love TA, but I'm overwhelmed with all the info. Please help steer me where to look. Thank you!

Southern Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
3,679 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best region/area for viewing lighthouse & lobster

Here's the scoop on Maine lighthouses:

visitmaine.com/attractions/…

Tomorrow is the annual Maine Lighthouse Day, when more lighthouses are available for touring:

visitmaine.com/attractions/…

I think the mid-coast area would give you a lot of opportunities to see lighthouses and go out on a lobster boat tour. Maine blueberries usually come on at the end of July/beginning of August. This year they were early. There are always vendors in season along Route One between Bath and Waldoboro.

Concord, New...
Level Contributor
467 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best region/area for viewing lighthouse & lobster

I would actually recommend going a bit further north than the Mid-coast. The majority of the Blueberry Barrens are located in Washington County, which is also home to a few lighthouses and many lobstering towns. Its not quite as developed as the mid-coast in the sense that it doesn't receive as many tourists, so there are not as many hotel options but it is also a further drive from the airport/highway system. Somewhere around Machias would probably be good spot for you. You would have access to both the blueberry barrens and the coast. Lighthouses would include the two Quoddy Head. I would argue that Downeast Maine may be a better fit for you. Machias/Eastport/Lubec area would have what you are looking for.

3. Re: Best region/area for viewing lighthouse & lobster

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 September 2013, 10:16