We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Summer vacation

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
56 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
Summer vacation

We are planning on renting a house in Maine the end of June for our family (9 adults and 4 kids ages 3-new born). I have found two that meet our needs, but I wonder which is the better location. One is in Cape Elizabeth and the other is in Freeport. We will be flying into Boston and driving up to Maine. Any suggestions on which location would be better? We just want to play on the beach, explore tide pools, look through small towns and enjoy the food.

Maine
Level Contributor
894 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Summer vacation

Cape Elizabeth has more beaches in the area. Crescent Beach is popular with small kids because it has a couple small streams flowing into the ocean which kids love to dam up and play in the shallow, warmer water.

Cape Elizabeth is also home to Portland Head light and Two Lights state park.

No walkable village to speak of.

Freeport doesn't have beaches, but has Wolfe's Neck State Park which has nice trails along the water. Freeport is also home to LL Bean and many outlets if you want to shop.

Freeport has more restaurants to choose from...Harrasseeket Lunch and Lobster is a popular spot frequently recommended on this forum.

Cape Elizabeth doesn't have much for restaurants, but does have the Two Lights Lobster shack which has a great location.

Both are very easy drives into Portland for an endless supply of restaurant options.

They are only about half an hour apart so not a big difference location wise. Having said that.....Freeport will give you closer access to the midcoast area if you want to do day trips to places like Boothbay Harbor, Popham Beach, Reid State Park.

Cape Elizabeth will give you closer access to southern beach towns like Kennebunkport, Ogunquit, Wells, York.

I would think you'll enjoy either location.

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
56 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Summer vacation

Thanks for the information! It has been a great help. We are looking forward to our week in Maine. I think we will head to Freeport.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
4,109 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Summer vacation

You want to play on the beach and explore tide pools, and you choose a town without a beach??? a lot of long day drives with 3 toddlers doesn't sound too great, to me. Re-think.

4. Re: Summer vacation

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 January 2014, 21:18