We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Finding snow in Maine mid-February - where to go?

2 posts
Save Topic
Finding snow in Maine mid-February - where to go?

We plan to visit Maine for a few days during the week of Feb 11 while on a trip to Boston. We are looking for snow. Neither my wife nor I ski, but she has never seen snow so I want to find someplace where we have a good chance to find some to play in for a few days. Was thinking about Portland for the coastline and shopping/restaurants, then I thought maybe close to one of the ski resorts would be a better idea..... Any ideas?

Central Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
6,882 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Finding snow in Maine mid-February - where to go?

Welcome to the Maine Forum.....

Right now, I'd say your chances are good for finding snow in February across much of Maine.... but who knows what will happen weather-wise between now and February....

Our temperatures were in the 50's a week ago and are forecast to get close to zero early this coming week....

In general, there is less snow along coastal areas because the ocean tends to moderate temperatures, meaning that coastal areas sometimes get rain while the rest of the state is getting snow. Conversely, in general, the more northern areas and those with higher elevations tend to get more snow because their temps are generally colder.

To enhance your chance of seeing, and being able to play in the snow, you might want to check out someplace like the Bethel Inn in Bethel, ME (see http://bethelinn.com/site/ski-winter)... Bethel is about an hour and a half further north than Portland, but, unless it's snowed immediately before your trip, the driving should be good -- state and local governments in Maine are very accustomed to clearing the roads of ice and snow and we generally can get around easily very soon after it stops snowing.

Not much shopping in Bethel (it's a small Maine mountain community) but some good restaurants and definitely a high-percentage location for snow in February.

2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Finding snow in Maine mid-February - where to go?

Thanks for replying! I've read quite a few less-than-stellar reviews of the Bethel Inn - most saying its desperately in need of renovation. Are there other places in town you would recommend? For non-skiers, will we be able to find something to do in town, if nothing else perhaps snowmobile rentals or sledding?

Central Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
6,882 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Finding snow in Maine mid-February - where to go?

Bethel Inn is an old-style New England inn, which is a turn-off for some people. On the other hand, it's been several years since I stayed there overnight (and that stay was fine). Mentioned them primarily because of their reputation for on-property availability of a number of ourdoor winter activities (as highlighted on the web link I listed). Can't really help much with other recommendations -- Bethel is day-trip distance for us and we haven't stayed overnight in town in several years.

Northeast Snowmobile Rentals is the only place I am personally aware of that rents snowmobniles in Bethel -- but there may be others as well. No personal rental experience with them, but have seen their ads.... probably could Google their website for more info....

Have heard there are dogsled rides available in the Bethel/Sunday River area. You might check with the Bethel Area Chamber of Commerce (207) 824-2282 or (800) 442-5826 to see if they can help -- would also be a great source for other non-skiing suggestions.

Southern Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
3,913 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Finding snow in Maine mid-February - where to go?

I haven't stayed at the Bethel Inn for a while, either. It was old-fashioned when we stayed there, but comfortable.

You're probably thinking that it would be weird for non-skiers to stay at a ski lodge, but Sunday River has a wide variety of lodging options and offers activities besides skiing:

sundayriver.com/EventsActivities/SnowTubing_…

http://www.theoutdoorcenter.net/

If you want to be sure of seeing snow, that's where I would go. Ski areas make their own snow. Maine's school vacation is the next week, so you should be able to locate lodging and even play it by ear.

5. Re: Finding snow in Maine mid-February - where to go?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 January 2014, 05:16