We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Any big red flags?

Jensen Beach...
Level Contributor
123 posts
82 reviews
Save Topic
Any big red flags?

Two Florida seniors visiting Maine last week of Aug and first week of Sept. We don't want to do a lot of driving. Asking that you look at our itinerary and tell me if I have made a really bad choice. Fly into Portland and land at 5-6 pm. Overnight in Top sham at Black Lantern BandB.

Drive to Belfast with 2 nights at Yankee Clipper motel.

Drive to Lubec with 2 nights at Peacock BandB

Drive to Bar Harbor with 4 nights at Coach Stop Inn.

Drive to Rock land with 2 nights at Glen Cove motel.

Drive to East Booth bay with 2 nights at Ocean Point inn.

Last night need recommendation for Portland airport hotel (cheap but clean).

Basically we plan on driving and enjoying scenery, good seafood, Arcadia Park and quiet.

Thoughts and suggestions or big red flags?

Central Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
6,695 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Any big red flags?

Can't comment on your individual lodging choices -- haven't stayed at any of them that I can remember....

Driving segments look "do-able" -- depending on how you self'define "not a lot of driving"... Belfast to Lubec looks like your longest segment (2 1/2 to 3 hours actual driving time depending on route choice(s) and traffic...

Not sure you'll find much "cheap" around Portland for the dates you're here, but with Labor Day Weekend Aug 31-Sept 1- Sept 2, you might find a price break of two by the time you get back there. We've had many good pre-flight stays over the years at the Hampton Inn-South Portland on Philbrook Ave. and a good stay at the Holiday Inn Express - South Portland on Sable Oaks Drive. You could check their rates. And last I knew, both offered airport transportation, which might allow you to return your rental car a day early.....

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
4,109 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Any big red flags?

The only red flag is "last week of August", as you would have had less traffic and slightly better prices by traveling "first two weeks of September".

I'm not sure why you've chosen a stop in Topsham unless a 2 hour drive at 6pm is a bit much for you (wouldn't be bad at all with a stop for dinner I'd think)....and all the way to Belfast at Sunset is a nice drive from Portland.

Also you might want to think the two stays in Belfast and Rockland as the Belfast/ Camden/ Rockport or ":mid coast" region might be a bit more pleasant just staying in one place like maybe Glen Cove for all 4 nights. In fact I think I would try to go directly from Portland to the Glen Cove on the first night, which would give you an extra day in Lubec or Boothbay later on by avoiding the one-nighter in Topsham. (Not much to do in Topsham after dark except sleep so it seems a bit of a wasted stop just to up and drive an hour next day.)

Near the Portland jetport, Comfort Inn near the Maine Mall is showing a good senior rate or the Howard Johnson at 700 Main Street is a 5 minute drive. If you want to save 40 bucks, consider the Admiral Motel or another clean and safe motel on Route 1 in Scarborough, this would get you away from the trafficky mall/airport area for a nice, quiet final night , but you'd have a 15 min drive up route1/ 295 in the morning.

www.admiralmotelmaine.com www.millbrookmotel.com

Jensen Beach...
Level Contributor
123 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Any big red flags?

Thanks for the suggestions. We intentionally chose the weeks because of hurricane season. In Florida the season hits the highpoint not long after Labor Day and we choose to be at home to close shutters etc if need be (hopefully no). We will be leaving our home around 8 am and won't get to Portland until 5-6. By the time we get a rental car and get on the road and get to Top sham and have dinner we will have put in a long day for our age. I would like suggestions as to things to see and do, restaurants etc and advice as to accomodation choices. Thanks

Southern Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
3,681 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Any big red flags?

As you did not post your days of travel, I would just suggest that if you arrive on a Friday night, do not head up to Topsham. Find a place to stay closer to Portland and head out in the morning. Everybody and their mother will be heading in the same direction as you - especially at your arrival time.

I agree with joesorce's suggestion of combing your Belfast and Rockland stay into one location. (Unless there was something about the two inns that attracted you and you want to try both.)

At the end of your trip, I would go with MainerOnTheGo's suggestion and book a hotel near the airport that offers transportation. Checking your rental car in a day earlier than planned will offset any slightly higher price for that night's lodging.

I haven't stayed at any of the properties you listed. I'm guessing that you already checked out their reviews here on TripAdvisor, but if not, they're worth reading through. The Glen Cove Inn is in a nice spot and always looks busy. The Ocean Point Inn is also in a nice spot. Some of the accommodations have looked dated when we've swung by.

Jensen Beach...
Level Contributor
123 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Any big red flags?

Thanks - sorry I didn't say we are arriving on a Tuesday and flying out on a Tuesday. Hopefully we won't run into traffic jams. Our dates are 8/27 to 9/10. Yes I researched the accommodations on trip advisor. Any suggestions for things to do or restaurant in the towns in the towns we will be staying?

Central Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
6,695 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Any big red flags?

Great place for a very casual lunch, with great food, when you're in Rockland would be The Brown Bag -- on the north end of the business district....right next door to Wass' Hot Dogs and diagonally across the street from Dunkin Donuts. Great sandwiches on bread baked on thepremises and some really flavorful soups and chowders. Very handy if you're looking for a picnic lunch to take with you, but also an informal, self-service dining room.

Too many attractions/things to do in Bar Harbor to list here -- check with the Acadia National Park Visitor's Center (just off Rt 3 on your right as you climb a hill leaving Hull's Cove) for events in the Park while you're there and for tips on how to make the most of the time you have available.

In Rocklamd, my lost of must-do's might include: Mt Battie Auto Road in Camden Hills State Park just north of downtown Camden; Camden Harbor stroll along the waterfront' a walk/hike to the end of the Rockland Harbor breakwater to the lighthouse at its end; a visit to the world-known Farnsworth Art Museum in Rockland; and a visit to the Owl's Head Transportation Museum in nearby Owl's Head.

And in Boothbay: Ocean Point in East Boothbay at Sunset -- great photos!!; and the local Botanical Gardens -- absolutely fantastic even for non-plant people!.

Jensen Beach...
Level Contributor
123 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Any big red flags?

Just found an earlier flight which will give us plenty of time to drive to Belfast rather than staying in Top sham. This will give us a night to add on in one of our stops. I was thinking of making Lubec a 3 nighter. Thoughts?

Central Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
6,695 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Any big red flags?

Looking at your original itinerary, I see the night before you fly out as your only time in Portland... you could consider adding a second night there to allow time for visiting the Portland Head Light lighthouse, maybe a ferry ride to a Casco Bay Island for a stroll and on-island lunch, a stroll through the the redeveloped Old Port District, or even a ride to a south-coastal destination like Kennebunkport or Ogunquit..... Or if Portland just doesn't appeal to you, add the night in Lubec and plan on visiting Campobello Island and/or other Canadian destination (just remember to bring your passports for re-entry into the US).

9. Re: Any big red flags?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 January 2014, 06:19