We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flying into Portland vs Bangor -- recommendation sought

Michigan
Level Contributor
156 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Flying into Portland vs Bangor -- recommendation sought

We're planning a summer trip to Maine this summer in either July or August. It looks like we can fly to either Portland or Bangor direct for a similar price. We've never been to Maine, and haven't yet figured out what towns we plan to visit. We're basically hoping to stay in 1 or 2 places, and from there explore beaches and parks. If anyone has a recommendation as to which city/airport to start in I'd appreciate it.

Southern Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
3,793 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Flying into Portland vs Bangor -- recommendation sought

The choice of airport should be based on where you're going if the price is equal. If you're headed toward Bar Harbor, you might as well fly into Bangor. If you're heading to the beaches in southern Maine, or to the mid-coast, then I'd choose Portland.

Texas
Level Contributor
1,584 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Flying into Portland vs Bangor -- recommendation sought

I would recommend booking an open jaw ticket - into Bangor and out of Portland (or vice versa). The cost should be very similar (sometimes a little less, sometimes a little more...but usually very close to the same). It will allow more exploration without having to backtrack. Check out the prices by selecting multi-city when entering the destinations.

You'll also want to compare car rental prices to see if there is a big difference when dropping off at a different airport. Last summer we used Alamo - picked up in Bangor and dropped off in downtown Boston. There was no difference in cost than if we dropped it back off in Bangor. But not all companies are the same, and you would definitely want to check this out before committing to an open jaw ticket. Sometimes you have to play around with the dropoffs when researching...as in if it's more expensive one way, reverse the pickup and dropoff locations (that is compare picking up in BGR and dropping off at PWM to picking up at PWM and dropping off at BGR). My guess is it will be the same or close. There are only a few car rental companies that rent out of Bangor anyway, so it doesn't take long to check this out. www.flybangor.com/content/4038/Rental_Cars/

3. Re: Flying into Portland vs Bangor -- recommendation sought

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 January 2014, 05:17