We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help! Planning a trip dont know where to start

Chicago
Level Contributor
11 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Help! Planning a trip dont know where to start

We have always wanted to go to Maine to see the coast and eat lobster! We have decided to go this June, but dont know where to start. I need help, where to stay, where to fly into.. great places to see.. where to get lobster... Any help would be great!!! Thanks

Queensbury, NY
Level Contributor
86 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help! Planning a trip dont know where to start

If I were you, i would fly into Boston (Logan) and rent a car and drive up rooute one to maine. You can also take 95 which is much quicker but there is something about saying you took route one.

There are many villages, etc to see on the way, but i like to stop in gloucester, ma (the perfect storm)

anyway costal maine starts with Kittery in pisqataca rivelr. a lot of outllet shopping (kittery trading post is semi-famous) north of kittery on the york river stop at Boson's landing for clams. It is only open 4 days a week so it could be closed.

keep heading north to york village (which is on 1a) folloto 1a to york harbor, york beach, shore road to oginquit, then one to wells, and kennebunkport.

I don't know how long you have, but you can go forever on the coast and not be disappointed.

next for me would be freeport (LL bean) and boothbay harbor.

Try to structure flights so you can fly home out of Portland.

Good luck

Gillsville ,GA
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Help! Planning a trip dont know where to start

I have planned a trip to Boothbay this June for the Windjammer Festival. I have never been either but it looks like it will be lots of fun.

Chicago
Level Contributor
11 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help! Planning a trip dont know where to start

Thanks, where would you stay ? any reccomendations of hotels?

Chicago
Level Contributor
11 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help! Planning a trip dont know where to start

We are going for 4 nights...

Maine
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Help! Planning a trip dont know where to start

Hey there!

I am a wooden boatbuilder in the neighboring town of Harpswell. I have two websites that might be of help to you. One is for our 102 year old wooden boat INTEGRITY... there is a link there for oceanfront things to do. www.integrityteamworks.com/boat.htm

Also, this is the direct link there: integrityteamworks.com/propertiesthingstodo.…

Hope this helps!

Brian

Queensbury, NY
Level Contributor
86 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help! Planning a trip dont know where to start

tried to respond earller, but it looks like it did not post.

With only 4 nights, I would probably fly into portland and use york beach, york harbor, kennebunport or ogunquit as my base

York harbor-stage neck inn or york harbot inn

york beach-union bluff

ogunquit-the sparhawk

kennebunkport-probably a b and b near walker's point

ask around for the best places to eat as everyone has their own opinion. I personally love the Blue willow in perkin's cove at HIGH TIDE.

Maine
Level Contributor
829 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help! Planning a trip dont know where to start

Here's how to take full advantage of your four days:

fly AA non-stop to Portland.

Stay at Hilton Garden Inn on the waterfront, in the middle of the Old Port and across the street from the ferry terminal where you'll catch a 4-hour tour of Casco Bay islands.

http://hiltongardeninn.hilton.com/en/gi/hotels/index.jhtml;jsessionid=GWFA155LJU5K0CSGBIU222QKIYFC3UUC?ctyhocn=PWMDHGI

There's lots to do and see right in the area of Portland you'd be staying at, but in addition:

Take half day to see Cape Elizabeth (15-minutes south), where you'll tour Fort Williams (home of Portland Headlight), Two Lights State Park (more lighthouses and incredible scenery) and eat at the Lobster Shack, a paper plate seafood place set right on the rocks next to Two Lights.

http://portlandheadlight.com/

Spend another half day in Freeport (30 minutes north), home of L.L.Bean and outlet shopping. Down to Freeport's waterfront to eat at Harraseeket Lobster, on Town Landing.

Your other day or two can be day trips along the coast either north or south.

Chicago
Level Contributor
11 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help! Planning a trip dont know where to start

thanks everyone this has been very helpful! any more suggestionswould also be great

U.S.A
Level Contributor
414 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Help! Planning a trip dont know where to start

My husband and I took a trip to Boston and decided to drive up to Maine just to see what it was like. We absolutely loved Wells Beach, Maine. Maine was one of those places that lives up to expectations. It looked like something out of a magazine. Everything was so quaint and the beach there was amazing. We just stopped by for an hour or so, in January. It was sooo cold! But, seeing snow on the beach was an unforgettable experience. Any of the places along the beach in Wells looked nice. I'd start by looking for suggestions on tripadvisor and checking out the pics on expedia as well. You could get a fantastic rate at any of these places in winter. During the summer, I bet they sell out fast. It wasn't a bad drive from Boston, up interstate 95 and I'd say you could get good ticket prices from Chicago to Logan Intl. If you can't find anything in Maine, I'd also recommend New Hampshire, which was just like Maine---quaint and spectacular beaches. We stopped off in Hampton Beach, NH. Both Wells (in Maine) and Hampton (in New Hampshire) were close to the Interstate, but seemed miles away, as they were just like seaside villages you see on tv or in the movies. Very cool! Hope this helps!

Augusta, Maine
Level Contributor
8 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Help! Planning a trip dont know where to start

People have posted many good ideas here, but a few more:

1. Someone else mentioned that AA flies nonstop to Portland from Chicago--United does too. The other major Maine airport is in Bangor, which would be the place to fly to if you're going to the coastal places like Bar Harbor, Acadia NP. etc. I don't think there are nonstops to Chicago from there, but there are several airlines you could fly into with one change. Also a possibility is flying to Manchester, NH.

2. The coastal towns between the NH border and Old Orchard Beach (like Ogunquit, Wells, etc.) can be very crowded and slow to drive through in the summer on US 1, especially on weekends. Plan accordingly! Some of these places have shuttle "trolleys" to make getting around easier.

3. There's a *very* wide range of lobster eating experiences you can have. On the low end, lots and lots of places have lobster rolls in the summertime--you don't even have to be on th coast for that. Heck, McDonald's has 'em in Maine in summer. On the high end, there are places like DiMillo's in Portland. My favorite place is Dena's (used to be Lisa's) in the Five Islands area (Georgetown). It's outdoors right next to the fisherman's co-op and it's very fresh, and a lot cheaper than going to a linen tablecloth type place. It's at the end of a gravel road; you'll wonder if you're going to the right place, but will be glad you did. They have picnic tables to eat at outside. They don't sell beer; bring your own.

4. As someone who doesn't live on the coast, I think to really see Maine, it's good to see a little off the coast too. I live in Augusta and would recommend visiting Hallowell, just south of Augusta. It is not a large town but has a number of good restaurants--the Liberal Cup is a very fine brewpub--and lots of small antique stores as well.

Have a good trip!