We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

15th Wedding Anniversary destination

Lewiston
Level Contributor
44 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
15th Wedding Anniversary destination

Hello,

For our 15th wedding anniversary my husband and I want to travel to the most self-indulgent, luxurious spa resort we can find within driving distance. We are coming for Western Ny and would like to keep the drive under 10 hours. Having never been to Maine I thought that might be a nice place to go!

So far I have found the White Barn Inn and the Inn by the Sea which look great at first glance. Can anyone attest to either of these places or suggest some place even better?

The most important feature is that we would like to be able to spend an entire day at the spa being pampered and drinking wine and having people serve us platters of cheese. LOL - ok the cheese platter isn't a must but would be a nice bonus ;)

I also want to experience Maine outside of the resort so it needs to by located in a town with activities like shops and restaurants to check out. And I'm looking for someplace with few to no kids.

Thanks so much in advance!

The Great State of...
Level Contributor
404 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 15th Wedding Anniversary destination

Definitely the White Barn Inn over Inn by the Sea. The White Barn Inn is a very adult place, driven that way by the prices and reputation. Just look at the awards section on their website to get a feel for the standards they strive to uphold. whitebarninn.com/kennebunkport-maine-hotel-n… It really is one of a kind/in its own class in Maine. Nothing against IBTS, it's a great destination, recently remodeled, but it's a much more family-centric place, there are always kids at the pools and dogs on the grounds (many of their units are condos, so think families spending a week at a time with their dogs.) Not saying that the IBTS has bad food, but they just aren't in the same class as the White Barn Inn food- and wine-wise. Not sure that anyone in Maine is in the WBI's class.

In terms of nearby towns to walk, Kennebunk/Kennebunkport is a classic Maine seaside vacation (tourist) town. Shopping in all budgets from tee shirts to pricey antiques and decor items. There will be children with the families shopping there.

When do you want to make this trip? July and August are very crowded there.

Camden would also be a perfect Maine town for this sort of getaway, but I'm not sure you can find it all in one there. There are some outstanding restaurants there (Francine in Camden, Primo in nearby Rockland), a great walkable town, wonderful B&Bs to pamper you. You might just have to find a separate spa, not attached to your B&B.

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
Level Contributor
19,845 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 15th Wedding Anniversary destination

We have stayed at the White Barn over a dozen times, and dined there many more. We fly from Los Angeles for my Birthday in Oct. for this special weekend over the years. It just keeps getting better and better.

I believe it's the only 5* restaurant in Maine.

Here are their spa packages:

whitebarninn.com/kennebunkport-maine-spa-spa…

3. Re: 15th Wedding Anniversary destination

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 February 2014, 05:17