We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Midcoast Maine suggestions

Pittston...
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Midcoast Maine suggestions

My husband and I are traveling to Maine in early sept. our plan is to spend a few days midcoast, a few days at Moosehead Lake, and finish with a few days in Portland. I am looking for suggestions on where to stay on the coast. I have narrowed it down to Rockland, Rockport, Camden area.

Maine
Level Contributor
225 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Midcoast Maine suggestions

Rockland, Rockport, and Camden are all within a few miles of each other. Of the three towns, I'd recommend Camden for an overnight or two. Camden has lots of really nice inns, B&Bs and so on. My son and his fiancee have planned their honeymoon in Camden! Rockland is not quite as picturesque (for staying overnight) but the Farnsworth Museum is definitely worth a visit. The Samoset Resort advertises itself as being in all three towns (technically I think it is in Rockport). I've stayed at the Samoset many times in the past but not for at least 5 years. When I was there, everything was fine but I heard it has suffered a bit during the recent economic woes. I'd do some research before booking a room there. But if you and your husband are golfers, it does have a nice course.

Bottom line, I'd investigate Camden first. Enjoy your trip.

Central Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
6,672 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Midcoast Maine suggestions

As LeslieN points out, all three of the towns you've listed are within 10 miles of each other, so it's really a matter of finding accommodations that appeal to you, because the other locations are all within easy reach....

Rockland is definitely the largest, and most commercial-feeling, of the three.... But commercial does not mean industrial, it just means that Rockland offers a wider mix of businesses and a larger downtown area. It's also defnitely become the "foodie" center of the mid-coast with some really outstanding restaurants -- some even featured on The Food Channel in recent years. Rockland also offers an opportunity to walk/hike the mile-long Rockland Harbor breakwater to the lighthouse at the harbor end.... and the already-mentioned Farnsworth is a true mid-coast gem.

Camden has a smaller, walkable downtown with easy access from the business district to the harbor area, which is more compact, and some say more scenic, than Rockland's harbor. Camden offers several bed-and-breakfast options, many located in the homes of former sea-captains from the days when sailing ships crowded Camden harbor. Today, Camden's harbor is a mix of pleasure boats (mostly sailboats) and commercial cruise vessels (hourly, half-day and full day if memory serves). Two special places in Camden are the Mt Battie overlook at the top of the Mt Battie Auto Road in Camden Hills State Park and the view of the harbor from the lawn of the Camden Public Library.

Rockport is definitely the least commercial of the three -- the presence of the Samoset Resort notwithstanding. The resort is physically located in Rockport, but is not really visible from the small downtown area or the cozy harbor. The village definitely has a more small-town feel than either of the other two towns you've mentioned, but, consequently, offers fewer options for lodging or dining. The harbor area is much smaller that either of the other two, but is pretty enough to warrant a visit no matter where you decide to stay...

For the most small-town feel, Rockport will be your best bet. For easiest access to the greatest number and variety of restaurants, it's Rockland. And for a nice combination of village-and-harbor, I'd go with Camden. Kind of depends on what sort of experience you're looking for.

Would agree with LeslieN that the Samoset Resort had some down times a few years ago, but my understanding is that new management (and maybe ownership) has taken over within the past year or two, has reportedly made extensive renovations, and has brought it well back to its former place of prominence on the mid-coast. The golf course is one of the most scenic coastal courses you'll find anywhere in Maine and can be a good challenge regardless of your golfing ability -- just pick your tee choices carefully and you'll be fine. For a less-expensive, less-scenic but still enjoyable outing, there's also the Rockland Country Club, which is open to public play. Both courses can be Googled for more info if you are itnerested....

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
4,109 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Midcoast Maine suggestions

If you like to stay in town, walk to the shops and restaurants etc, look at Blue Harbor House Inn in Camden. If you like more secluded places a bit out of the hubbub, consider High Tide Inn or Craignair Inn.

Southern Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
3,633 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Midcoast Maine suggestions

LeslieN: If you haven't been to the Samoset since the remodeling, you need to go back. We have been in both winter and summer and were very happy with the rooms and the public spaces.

Maine
Level Contributor
225 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Midcoast Maine suggestions

CB and Mainer, thanks for the updates on the Samoset. I'll have to look for a reason to go back! Looking at the website, I see Marcel's is gone and all the restaurants now have an Italian theme. Works for me...I love Italian and I always thought Marcel's was overpriced for rather average food.

Boston...
Level Contributor
12,883 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Midcoast Maine suggestions

If I could throw a suggestion on your lodging, I would tell you to look at Beloin's cottages in Camden. My cousin and I stumbled on to them and return year after year. They're not luxurious, but they're perfectly clean and sit on top of a ledge right on the ocean. You wake up to the sound of lobsterman pulling their traps. Make sure you ask for a cottage or the motel on the water, as there is a motel up by the road that you shouldn't consider, only because they lack all charm.

Beloin's.com

7. Re: Midcoast Maine suggestions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 April 2014, 07:16