We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Summer 2014 trip

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
132 posts
Save Topic
Summer 2014 trip

We are flying in to Portland on a Saturday. Will have seven overnight stays. I think this is how we will break it up:

Portland - two nights (will visit Ogunquit and Kennebunkport)

Bar Harbor - three nights

Camden - two nights

We could add one more night (either arrive on Friday or depart on Sunday) if we need to.

What I need help on is the order of the towns - Portland, BH and then Camden? Or Portland, Camden and then BH?

Thanks for your suggestions.

j.

Central Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
6,715 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Summer 2014 trip

The number of nights you've proposed should give you a good sampling of each of the locations.... as far as adding an extra night, depending on what you hope to see and do, you could add a night at any of the three places and not be wasting your time.... but what you've proposed will give you enough time to see the highlights, get a bit of the flavor, and enjoy all three places without feeling totally rushed or like you're missing some of the "must see's".....

For order of towns, I'd suggest Portland, Camden, Bar Harbor.... because that way, when you're ready to head back to Portland at the end of your trip, you can save time and traffic congestion by taking a more inland route.... Rt 3 Bar Harbor to Ellsworth, US 1A Ellsworth to Brewer, I-395 Brewer to Bangor, I-95 Bangor to Portland.... gets you away from the small-town-stop-and-go traffic on US Rt 1.... and you'll already have seen that part of Maine on your drive from Portland to Camden to Bar Harbor...

Boston...
Level Contributor
938 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Summer 2014 trip

If you want to stay an extra night, you could use to visit Boothbay Harbor or spend more time in Southern Coast towns.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
132 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Summer 2014 trip

Thanks MOTG - just the info I was looking for.

I appreciate the help.

4. Re: Summer 2014 trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 April 2014, 05:18