We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Places to eat with toddlers in Freeport ME

Concord, New...
Level Contributor
467 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
Places to eat with toddlers in Freeport ME

We are bringing our 3 &5 year old sons on a Train Trip from Dover to Freeport with our in-laws. I have only been one other time and we ate at Gritty's. Are there any "kid-friendly" options within walking distance of the train station, say 1-1.5 miles. We will have a stroller and not afraid of a decent walk as long as there are sidewalks and its safe.

I believe the Train gets in around noon and leaves around 6pm. So we have 6 hours to walk around. i am familiar with LL Bean. Any other can't miss stores or attractions?

Also would there be a place to get oysters? (The in-laws are coming and we may have them walk with the kids a bit if we can find some raw oysters and a beer).

Central Maine
Level Contributor
451 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Places to eat with toddlers in Freeport ME

Freeport caters to tourists and that includes kids. I can't think of anyplace walking distance from train station that would not accomodate the kids.

Linda Bean's Main Kitchen is primarily seafood (including oysters) and has a kids menu.

Azure Cafe is primarily Italian and seafood.

Broad Arrow Tavern has largest/most varied menu...pizza and burgers to steak and lobster. Good lunch buffet..

Concord, New...
Level Contributor
467 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Places to eat with toddlers in Freeport ME

I understand that places will "accommodate" children, I meant are there places geared towards kids. The 3 places you listed are adult restaurants, that happen to also feed kids, but I wouldn't characterize any of them as "kid-friendly" from looking at their websites.

Bar Harbor, Maine
Level Contributor
5,631 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Places to eat with toddlers in Freeport ME

You could try this place which is right in the main L.L. Bean store:

http://www.1912cafe.com/menu/

I don't know about oysters.

Concord, New...
Level Contributor
467 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Places to eat with toddlers in Freeport ME

Thanks Bonnie!

Portland
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Places to eat with toddlers in Freeport ME

Buck's Naked BBQ http://www.bucksnaked-bbq.com and Gritty's http://www.grittys.com/freeport.php both have a great menu and have a play area for the kiddos.

Edited: 29 April 2013, 20:34
Concord, New...
Level Contributor
467 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Places to eat with toddlers in Freeport ME

Thanks for the heads up. I had been to Gritty's before, its about a mile from the Train station. I did notice a Johnny Rockets (burgers/fries/ice cream/shakes) which I wasn't familiar with until we saw it after eating and I think the kids would have liked it.

We ended up going to Petrillo's as it was next to the train station. It was okay, but I wouldn't eat there again. Though the kids spaghetti/meatballs were tastier than all of the adult meals.

Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
5 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Places to eat with toddlers in Freeport ME

I am not a fan of Linda Beans- not impressed with the food. Off the beat and path (5 min drive away) the Haraseket lobster pound is a great option. Outside seating and order food at a window. Kids can look at the ocean and aren't trapped inside

Also a few pizza places Cianos is another place

8. Re: Places to eat with toddlers in Freeport ME

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 May 2014, 07:17