We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best/quickest route Augusta to Fredericton, New Brunswick

Illinois
Level Contributor
312 posts
47 reviews
Save Topic
Best/quickest route Augusta to Fredericton, New Brunswick

We will be visiting Vermont, New Hampshire and Maine in late September/early October. On our way to Bar Harbor, we would like to make a swing through New Brunswick. What is the best/quickest route from Augusta, ME to Fredericton, New Brunswick?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Bar Harbor, Maine
Level Contributor
5,929 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best/quickest route Augusta to Fredericton, New Brunswick

You could take I-95 from Augusta to Houlton, Maine and across the border into New Brunswick. Then Canadian Highway 2 to Fredericton. From Fredericton, you could take Canadian 7 down to St. John and then follow Highway 1 across the border at Calais, Maine and down to Ellsworth, where you pick up Highway 3 to Bar Harbor.

Illinois
Level Contributor
312 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best/quickest route Augusta to Fredericton, New Brunswick

Thanks for the suggestion!

Central Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
6,715 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best/quickest route Augusta to Fredericton, New Brunswick

Bonniemaev's route suggestion is both the quickest and the one which will offer the best driving conditions because the vast majority of the Bangor-to-Frederickton portion is controlled-access, multi-lane, divided highway. Once you get into the northern portion of Maine, the speed limit on I-95 increases to 75mph. Remember that you'll lose an hour's time at the US-Canadian Border because New Brunswick is in a different time zone... i.e. when it's 2:00PM in Bangor or Houlton, Maine, it's 3:00PM in New Brunswick. Bangor to Frederickton and Frederickton to Bar Harbor will both involve four to four-and-a-half hours driving time.

Illinois
Level Contributor
312 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best/quickest route Augusta to Fredericton, New Brunswick

Great information -- thank you!!!

5. Re: Best/quickest route Augusta to Fredericton, New Brunswick

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 May 2014, 06:17