We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Town in Maine to visit

New York City, New...
2 posts
Save Topic
Town in Maine to visit

Hello,

I would very much like to visit Maine, but I don't know where in Maine to visit. Not to sound too cheesy, but I am looking for a part of Maine that resembles a Stephen King novel -- small coastal town with few residents, not big area with beaches. (yes, I know Castle Rock does not exist!) Looking for a nice and quiet place to stay, a nice inn, great local food, but not too 'touristy'.

Would be coming from NYC, so would probably need to be a place/town accessible by train/bus.

Any recommendations would be appreciated!

Central Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
6,653 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Town in Maine to visit

Jimmy -- Welcome to the Maine Forum of Trip Advisor. Have been thinking hard about your question, and given your limits on what you're looking for, I'm not sure such a place exists except in the mind of novel writers. The conflict comes between your need for a "non-touristy place with a beach" that also has to be "accessible by bus or train." Train service in Maine is a single line from Boston to Portland, ME, and while it has several stops in southern Maine, most of them are quite "touristy" because of the beaches there.

The non-touristy places are primarily north and east of Portland and tend to be down on the ends of coastal peninsulas, But the coastal bus route doesn't extend down the peninsulas, but runs across the inland ends of them.... making it extremely difficult to find a non-touristy coastal town accessible by bus. Beyond that, many of the non-tourisy areas don't have beaches of their own, further complicating a successful search. I can think of several small, quiet, "non-touristy" coastal towns, but none of them have beaches and none are accessible by bus. You may have to temper your expectations a bit or be willing to consider other forms of transportation in order to get to the kind of places you're looking for.

New York City, New...
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Town in Maine to visit

Hello, thank you for your reply. I wasn't sure if such a place existed -- or, at least, one accessible by train or bus -- so your response was very helpful.

You mentioned you knew of "several small, quiet, "non-touristy" coastal towns". Would you be able to list a few? (I'd then be looking into the option of renting a car.) They don't have to have beaches per se (not looking to swim), but definitely something by the water.

Maine
Level Contributor
883 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Town in Maine to visit

As Mainer said, it's hard to find something that meets those criteria. Places with few residents and not touristy don't get enough demand to warrant a train or bus stop. The only idea I could think of would be something like Peaks Island off the coast of Portland. You can take the train or bus to Portland and a taxi or public bus from the station to the ferry terminal. Portland is Maine's largest city, but by staying on the island you would have more isolation than you would get in the popular tourist towns.

You could also take the ferry back to Portland for all the great dining options there. May not be what your looking for, but it's worth a look.

Maine
Level Contributor
43 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Town in Maine to visit

You could look at the Twin Villages of Newcastle and Damariscotta. There is a great bus service from Boston that takes you right into the village of Damariscotta. It's at the top of the Pemaquid Peninsula with a number of small beaches and a lighthouse on the rocks at the end of the peninsula. There are also a number of swimming holes in the area which are very popular with the locals. I would recommend flying in to Portland and renting a car so you can make the most of your stay.

Maine
Level Contributor
404 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Town in Maine to visit

I would recommend Blue Hill peninsula and Stonington in particular. Maybe mass transit to Bangor then rent a car. I don't think Maine gets better than that area.

Boothbay Harbor...
Level Contributor
533 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Town in Maine to visit

Non-touristy small town on the coast accessible by public transportation: Rockport

But I agree with others that renting a car is probably the way to go, particularly if you want to explore farther afield than what's in walking distance of your inn.

A couple of other things to keep in mind: our definition of a small town with few residents up here in Maine is probably a lot smaller than what you may be thinking of coming from NYC; also, once you get away from the beaches in southern Maine, "touristy" also has a whole different feel to it -- you won't find much in the way of amusement parks or nightclubs. Even in a relatively touristy place like Boothbay Harbor you can find some very quiet places to stay.

7. Re: Town in Maine to visit

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 May 2014, 06:19