We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

i went to castine - not much there - or is there

Maunaloa, Hawaii
Level Contributor
76 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
i went to castine - not much there - or is there

is there anything to do in castine? i went there today and its mostly private homes, a town dock, and a couple of restaurants.

Brunswick, Maine
Level Contributor
2,492 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: i went to castine - not much there - or is there

The little general store downtown won "Best Lobster Roll in the state" in a reader poll in the Bangor Daily.

Did you go to the lighthouse?

There is some absolutely gorgeous architecture in town. I think Castine is a great town for getting out and walking or cycling so you can take it in very slowly. There are details that you can miss if you whiz by in a car.

Otherwise, it is a sleepy little town if you expected something like Bar Harbor, Camden, etc.

West Lawn...
Level Contributor
160 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: i went to castine - not much there - or is there

We stayed in Castine last summer and absolutely loved it. It was my wife and our two small children. We rented a small cottage on the Penobscot bay just outside of town. It felt like we had the whole bay to ourselves! The kids played in the water all morning and in the afternoon we did little day trips. We drove up to Stonington, Bar Harbor and even down to Camden one day. It was a great base for our trip.

The town itself is not very touristy which is why we enjoyed it so much. If you are looking for lots of gift shops, hotels and restaurants the town is probably not for you.

san diego, ca.
1 post
Save Reply
3. Re: i went to castine - not much there - or is there

What, you say - Nothing to do or see in Castine Maine? Give me a break!

Castine is a small New England town on a real bay, with a real wooden dock; with real lobsterfisherman, with many real small wooden boat building sheds; real "Down East" speaking local folks who actually live in town; a real example of an almost extinct general store with a real ice cream counter; real actual historic houses built eons ago, real historic forts, small unpretentious real restaurants with wooden tables servicing real lobster rolls; the world famous Maine Maritime Academy and its laboratories and facilities dedicated to training real sea farers, naval officers and captains of industry and a Maritime Academy real ocean going training ship which sails the seven seas and is operated by the Academy students.

If you're seeking fake stuff, noise, pushy, ill dressed crowds, gambling, and plastic go to Las Vegas.

Francis J. Tepedino

San Diego, CA.

Maunaloa, Hawaii
Level Contributor
76 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: i went to castine - not much there - or is there

i suppose frank but i agree with michele its kind of a sleepy town - reminded me a bit of the residential part of rockport massachusetts especially the larger estates - no place to go shopping i thought i was going to lose my mind. : )

5. Re: i went to castine - not much there - or is there

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 August 2009, 10:41