We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Seatbelt ticket

Pennellville, New...
Level Contributor
221 posts
241 reviews
Save Topic
Seatbelt ticket

Has anybody else been pulled over on Rt.95 for a seatbelt violation recently? I was pulled over last week by a state trooper and I HAD MY SEATBELT ON! This just seems like some sort of out of state "vacation tax". I'd love to fight this ticket, but I don't have the time to drive from Syracuse to Wells to defend myself( or to see/hear the proof of my guilt). I dont want to pay because I HAD MY SEATBELT ON, but I don't see what choice I have.Over the years I've spent thousands of dollars in Maine, but I won't anymore.

Southern Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
3,792 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Seatbelt ticket

I don't understand how you got a ticket for not wearing a seat belt if your seat belt was on. Was your ticket for something else and the seat belt a pretext for pulling you over?

If you're feeling like state troopers only pull over people "from away," you could not be more mistaken. They really don't discriminate.

Pennellville, New...
Level Contributor
221 posts
241 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Seatbelt ticket

CB48: Nope. No pretext. He pulled me over for no seatbelt. He's either mistaken or behind on his quota( or just a crappy cop). State troopers all over the USA purposely pull over out of staters, not just Maine. It's a way to generate income.

Central Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
6,758 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Seatbelt ticket

Logical arguments rarely win out over emotional ones, so I doubt we'll ever convince you it wasn't your out-of-state plates that got you pulled over. I've known and worked with Maine State Troopers and "County Mounties" for many, many years and can tell you they don't "target" out of state vehicles.... but they do watch driving behaviors and other non-compliance with Maine traffic laws. Draw your own conclusion... I also know that they're equally strict with Maine drivers whose driving behaviors and non-compliance (including seat belt compliance) and have witnessed as many "locals" pulled over as I have those "from away." Don't really expect to change your mind, but felt I owed it to the troopers I've worked with over the years to set the record straight.

Maine
Level Contributor
404 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Seatbelt ticket

I've lived here 14 years and got a ticket last year for no seatbelt- nothing else. Of course I was not actually wearing the seatbelt.

L B
Level Contributor
48 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Seatbelt ticket

I'm assuming if you were wearing the seatbelt you must have argued about getting ticketed for not (I would have). What was his reasoning? I personally have been stopped twice at checkpoints on my way to work checking seat belts, Maine is getting tough on it.

Maine
Level Contributor
891 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Seatbelt ticket

Using deductive reasoning here is my take from this post.

You feel you were pulled over and ticketed because you are from out of state.

Because of this you will not be returning to Maine to spend money.

This happens all over the USA, not just Maine.

Therefore, I deduce that you will not be traveling to or spending money in any other states either.

Seems kind of limiting, but I guess there are plenty of things to do in NY.

7. Re: Seatbelt ticket

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 05 July 2013, 04:05
NH
1 post
Save Reply
8. Re: Seatbelt ticket

I also got pulled over immediately as I crossed over the Maine border for not wearing a seatbelt when I most certainly did have it on. It's a great scam, no burden of proof, nothing is to prevent cops from randomly pulling out of staters over to increase funds for their degenerate state. Dirty cops

Maine
Level Contributor
404 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Seatbelt ticket

Thanks Fatboy

Wolcott, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Bar Harbor
Level Contributor
916 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Seatbelt ticket

I'm from out of state. I go to Maine every 2 -3 months or so. Have been for over 30 years. Never once pulled over for anything. Same for the dozens of friends and family who are also from out of state and visit Maine all the time. For a state that depends on visitors I find it hard to believe that there is a policy in place among the Troopers to target out of state cars.