We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Coastal scenic drives

Asheville, North...
2 posts
Save Topic
Coastal scenic drives

My husband and I are planning a trip to Maine in August and want to do scenic drives along the coastline. We have 10 days and would like to have a southern base to sightsee from and a northern base to go from. Walks are not possible so that's why I'm asking for coastline drives as much as possible. I definitely want to go back to Acadia when we go to northern Maine. Likely seafood restaurants on the water would also be appreciated. We may have our power scooter by then but I'm planning for not having it.

Thanks for any advice.

Mentioned in this post
Maine
Maine
United States
Acadia National Park
Acadia National Park
Mount Desert Island, ME
Central Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
6,929 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Coastal scenic drives

Welcome to the Maine Forum...

While there are many, many spots along the Maine coast where you can see coastal views from the car, routes with continuous or frequent coastal views are fewer in number due to the nature of the geography and the way in which Maine's early roads systems developed. We don't have the mile-after-mile-after-mile of ocean views that many people hope for/expect when they come to Maine.

I can think of a few nice scenic drives and hope other folks can think of others. The ones that come most immediately to mind (starting in southern Maine and working northeast):

-- US Rt 1A in York.... makes a loop away from Rt 1, along the coast, including York Beach, and then returns to US Rt 1A.... a quick side trip to The Nubble Lighthouse (great views right from the car) would definitely be in order...

-- Ocean Avenue in Kennebunkport... not a long roadway, but nice views of the rocks and ocean, plus a nice view of President Bush's summer compound on Walker's Point, including a roadside turnout for folks who want to stop for a quick look.

-- Haraseeket Lunch and Lobster in South Freeport (mentioned only because of good roadside signs to direct you there) overlooking Freeport Harbor -- good harbor view from some parking spaces.

-- Ocean Drive/Rt 96 in East Boothbay... makes a loop around Ocean Point with great roadside views of the rocks-and-ocean.... also a great spot for watching the sunset if you happen to be staying in the area.

-- Rockport Marine Park in Rockport, ME -- not really a "drive", but a nice spot to get a look at a pretty little harbor... easy access to/from US Rt 1

-- Bar Harbor/Acadia National Park -- Park Loop Road... would also stop at Acadia National Park Visitors Center and ask rangers/staff for other suggestions

-- Schoodic Section, Acadia National Park, off Rt 186 in Winter Harbor... nice views on the loop road and great views from the parking area at the end of the point

Best I can think of off the top of my head -- am sure there are others...

Have a great trip..

Mentioned in this post
Maine
Maine
United States
York
York
Maine
York Beach
York Beach
York, ME
Ocean Avenue
Ocean Avenue
513 Reviews
Kennebunkport, ME
Kennebunkport
Kennebunkport
Kennebunks, ME
Walker's Point
Walker's Point
611 Reviews
Kennebunkport, ME
East Boothbay
East Boothbay
Boothbay, ME
Rockport Marine Park
Rockport Marine Park
71 Reviews
Rockport, ME
Rockport
Rockport
Mid Coast Maine, ME
Bar Harbor
Bar Harbor
Mount Desert Island, ME
Acadia National Park
Acadia National Park
Mount Desert Island, ME
Park Loop Road
Park Loop Road
1,307 Reviews
Mount Desert Island, ME
Winter Harbor
Winter Harbor
DownEast and Acadia Maine, ME
Maine
Level Contributor
531 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Coastal scenic drives

The drive through the Blue Hill peninsula to Stonington is not entirely coastal / water views but is my favorite drive in Maine.

Mentioned in this post
Stonington
Stonington
Deer Isle, ME
Maine
Maine
United States
Asheville, North...
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Coastal scenic drives

Thank you so much for your suggestions they are very helpful.

4. Re: Coastal scenic drives

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 July 2014, 06:19